Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault Store Growth

WallySimmonds
Level 3
Partner
Hey guys,

Another potentially noobie question.

I've inherited another site where I've just created another vault store partition as the last one was reaching critical levels.  I've since been called to discuss what the site can do to reduce the amount of growth they have on the vault store volumes - judging by current trend information, it's using around 12gb p/w.  This is for a 1000 (approx) user site.  Now, we've got a similar setup elsewhere, and growth is similar there, so I'm not really sure we *can* do anything. 

Now, I've been told to see if SIS is working correctly (I'm not entirely sure how to do this).  The other option is to look at retention policies I guess, atm it is archiving from the Journal after 30 days.  Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Forgive me if my question is retarded, I'm only slowly getting my head around this product and only have a limited amount of time to dedicate learning it.

Thanks,
Wally
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Wally,

How can you be arching the Journal after 30 days this is nearly instant?  So unless you using mailbox archiving for the journal there is no way in doing this. 

As for your question I would consider setting up retention and expiry, if space is an issue.  There is no way you can really stop ingesting data as you will just move the problem to Exchange which is not a good idea. 

You can look at upgrading to Enterprise Vault v8 as this brings OSIS between Vault Stores which you don't have in 2007, in 2007 you only get SIS within Vault Stores.

--wayne

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Wally,

How can you be arching the Journal after 30 days this is nearly instant?  So unless you using mailbox archiving for the journal there is no way in doing this. 

As for your question I would consider setting up retention and expiry, if space is an issue.  There is no way you can really stop ingesting data as you will just move the problem to Exchange which is not a good idea. 

You can look at upgrading to Enterprise Vault v8 as this brings OSIS between Vault Stores which you don't have in 2007, in 2007 you only get SIS within Vault Stores.

--wayne

WallySimmonds
Level 3
Partner
Cool, thanks for the reply.  Sorry, I'm talking rubbish - ignore that line...I need to double check on how things are setup onsite again.   But the question still stands, I guess.

I've done a little reading on 8, and my understanding is it won't work retrospectively?  Not that's a biggie - but what sorts of percentages are we talking about in terms of saving space?

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Wally,

Off-record this is not official i have heard up to 40%, but this is all dependent on data within the organization. Also how your Vault Stores are set up? I mean now you not getting any benefits on 2 vault stores with sharing, but with v8 you will be able to share between them.

--wayne

Liam_Finn1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Wayne,

Correct me if I'm wrong but you can only get the SIS between the vault stores in EV 8.0 when both vault stores are in the same Vault store group.

Sharing does not transcend vault store groups

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Liam,

You are correct you only get OSIS between Vault Stores not between Vault Store Groups, the Finger Print databases don't know whats in each others :)

What lead you to the impression that someone said you get OSIS between VSG's?

--wayne