cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vault cache - How to change Age limit after initial wizard (v8 SP3)

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hi,

I have a vault cache with maximum size of 6GB. (10% of free disk space)
During initial vault cache wizard I selected "Apply age limit" and decided to have a maximum age of 6 months.
Reason: I was working on a WAN link and decided to restrict the download.

My cache is 1.3 GB in size.
I do not see an option in the gui to change or view my initial choice of age limit 6 months.

Why is this value not shown
Any option to change?

Regards
Hans Peeters
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

It is a setting that is used as part of initial download but not after that.  So it's there to stop you downloading a whole archive when initially setting up vault cache and you're just wanting recent data.

It isn't there as a general feature to change the age profile of your VC as you wish.  So if you want it to be bigger you'd need to use reset vault and get it rebuilt again from the beginning.

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I think its the OVDownloadItemAgeLimit in the registry on the client machine
https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Hans_Peeters
Level 4

I could find the registry value OVDownloadItemAgeLimit.
I changed the value to 730 (= 2 years, 2*365 days)

I restarted outlook and waited for the next vault cache sync.
Vault cache sync runs and reports as complete but I do not see additional vault cache DB files for year 2008.

It seems that this new value is not read after initial value.

In my opinion Symantec should include this value in the GUI.

So I still have the problem that I cannot make my vault cache larger by changing registry value OVDownloadItemAgeLimit.
I have enough free space. 6GB max size for vault cache and only 1.4 used. I have enough free disk space.

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

It is a setting that is used as part of initial download but not after that.  So it's there to stop you downloading a whole archive when initially setting up vault cache and you're just wanting recent data.

It isn't there as a general feature to change the age profile of your VC as you wish.  So if you want it to be bigger you'd need to use reset vault and get it rebuilt again from the beginning.

Cheers,
Mike

Hans_Peeters
Level 4
Hi,

Thank you for this technical explanation.
At least we know now that we cannot "play" with the OVDownloadItemAgeLimit value.

Is it possible to resize a vault cache after initial size setup if during intial wizard you did not choose a OVDownloadItemAgeLimit? Current size in our environment is put on 10% of initial free space.

In my opinion, not having the ability to resize your vault cache without a reset is a limitation, especially in our environment with lots of WAN internet links.

s1satya
Level 2
Hello,

I am testing virtual vault with my test users.

It is rolled out successfully so far with the testers, but according to the default setting on the virtual vault desktop policy. The cache size on the users workstation has went upto 5 - 6GB depending upon the free space on the users computer of which it uses 10% (I hope i get it right)

Now i want to limit the max cache size for the user to 2GB

- I have modified the vault cache desktop policy to restrict cache size to 2GB
- Re-ran provisioning task and synchronized the test mailboxes

But it doesn't seems to be taking effect.

I have been reading on some other forums and it appears to be that its the initial setting that is taken into consideration no matter if you change the policy later it still keep the initial value.

Please suggest........!!!!

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
@s1satya,
Please start a new post instead of hijacking an old thread, especially one marked solved.

Regards,