cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Veritas Vault 2007 for Exchange SP2 Upgrade

SourKraut
Level 3
I recently tried to upgrade my Veritas Vault 2007 for Exchange with service pack 2, however, now the directory service will not start with the following informational and warning messages. 

My Vault install is using an Exchange 2003 server tied to SQL 2000 server.  The vault server is running Windows 2003 sp1.

Any suggestions?

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Enterprise Vault
Event Category: Admin Service
Event ID: 8229
Date:  4/16/2008
Time:  3:25:48 PM
User:  N/A
Computer: CMMWPVAULT
Description:
DirectoryService: CreateDirectoryService number of tries: : 6
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp
Event Type: Information
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 8575
Time:  3:25:47 PM
Description:
The Directory Service has started the automatic upgrade of the EnterpriseVaultDirectory Database. The Directory Service will become fully operational when the upgrade is complete.
For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://evevent.symantec.com/rosetta/showevent.asp
Event Type: Warning
Event Category: Directory Service
Event ID: 8570
Time:  3:25:19 PM
Description:
The Directory Service is waiting for another Directory Service to complete an update of the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database, or waiting to get exclusive access to the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database. Please ensure no applications, for example SQL Enterprise Manager or SQL Query Analyzer, are accessing the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database.

14 REPLIES 14

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
How many ev servers do you have?

Is SQL Enterprise Manager or SQL Query Analyzer accessing the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database?

SourKraut
Level 3
There is only one EV server.

Neither the SQL Enterprise Manager or SQL Query Analyzer are open.  I'm not sure if there's a way to tell if they're accessing the database beyond that?

SourKraut
Level 3
I also noticed this error is getting repeated every few seconds in the System Event Log:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    DCOM
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    10015
Date:        4/16/2008
Time:        4:01:27 PM
User:        NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
Computer:    CMMWPVAULT
Description:
The machine wide limit settings do not grant Remote Launch permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{F4D3EB5B-C7C5-11D1-90DB-0000F879BE6A}
 to the user NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON SID (S-1-5-7).  This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
Did you give the VSA sysadmin rights on SQL before you tried to update the directory database?

SourKraut
Level 3
No when I did the upgrade the VAS account did not have sysadmin rights, they were setup as the database owner on all Vault databases though already.  I did just adjust the account so it has sysadmin rights on the SQL server with the same results in the event log.

Another interesting error in the application log when the Directory Service starts is below:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    Enterprise Vault
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    40966
Date:        4/17/2008
Time:        8:12:22 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    CMMWPVAULT
Description:
A program fault has raised an exception.

Exception:
Diagnostic:
Type: Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.DataAccessLayer.MonitoringAccessDBException
Reference:

Command Line: "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\MonitoringConfigUtility.exe" /update cmmwpsql NOSITE "C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault\reports\evomdb_updates.log"
Application Domain: MonitoringConfigUtility.exe
Process Id: 5140
Thread Id: 5144
Stack Trace:    at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.DataAccessLayer.Common.ConnectionProvider.OpenConnection()
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.DataAccessLayer.Common.DBHelper.ExecuteScalar(String query, ConnectionProvider connProvider)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.MonitoringDBConfig.GetEvomDbSqlServer(String vaultDbServer)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.DatabaseUpgrader..ctor(String siteEntryId, String vaultDbServer, String monitoringDbServer)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.MonitoringConfigApp.Upgrade(String[] args)
   at Symantec.EnterpriseVault.OperationsManager.Config.MonitoringConfigApp.Main(String[] args)

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
Did you see event ID 8576 in the event log? If so the Directory Database was upgraded.

SourKraut
Level 3
No it's caught in an endless loop of events 8575 and 8229 a couple times every minute.  So It's trying to upgrade the database, but for whatever reason it can't.

Eloya
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi,

have you changed the collation settings for your databases on your SQL 2000 database server? Is this a original 2007 system or have you upgrade it from previous versions in the past already?

Kind regards,

Nico

Robert_Primozic
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Try this:

Rename Dl2 folder in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\enterprisevault\ to dl2.old

Restart IIS and EV Admin service

SourKraut
Level 3
In responce to the last two posts:

No the collation settings have not been changed on the server.  And yes, the server has been upgraded in the past.  I believe the original install was 6.5. 

I checked the vault server and there is no subfolder under C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET Files\ called enterprisevault or any dl2 files to be found.

David_standish
Level 5
Sourkraut - Was this ever resolved? - David

SourKraut
Level 3

Yes it was solved, I believe this was the ultimate solution for the problem after working with Symantec support on it.

- Open a SQL manager and expand the EnterpriseVaultDirectory database and open the table KeyStore

--- How many entries are there?  They would be the ID row.

Did you perform a backup of this database prior to the upgrade?

What I would like for you to do is delete these rows and then restart the Admin and Directory service.  I just wanted to verify that this table had been backed up prior to us removing the entries.

-- This table holds information about previously stored passwords.  It could be that the password for the VSA had changed and this table did not update correctly.  We can re populate this table after the directory service upgrade by resetting the VSA password in the VAC.

Gonza
Level 5
Check this note

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/318392.htm

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you moved the databases, or renamed the SQL server, check registry keyhklm\software\kvs\directory\directoryservice
value sqlserver name

I found that this was the old server name. After changing, works like a charm.
Regards. Gertjan