Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What impact does File Server Archiving have on a fileserver

Jim_Hellewell
Level 4
Partner

Hello Experts,

Does anyone know what impact fileserver archiving has on the actual fileserver ?
So for instance, if I have a fileserver with 2,000,000 files, and of those 1,000,000 fall in scope for archiving

a) How long does this take, can I assume the figure of 60,000 files per hour (taken from the EV performance document) is accurate .. ish?

b) What impact does it have on the fileservers processor - would it hit 100% during the archiving run, or would it typically be much less than that

c) What impact does it have on the fileserver disk ? Would it be the same as say a backup, or an AV scan, or is is a back ground task?

I realise that "it depends" will be the first two words that come to mind, but if any one can say they have monitored a server and the impact was ..., then that would be something

regards

Jim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not really ran a performance monitor on a server during archiving but typically the archive run is being ran off-hours so as not to interfer with day-to-day operations. 

I would imagine it would be similar to a back up process.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not really ran a performance monitor on a server during archiving but typically the archive run is being ran off-hours so as not to interfer with day-to-day operations. 

I would imagine it would be similar to a back up process.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

it depends :) especially since there are probably 1000 different file servers you could be archiving from. it depends as much on EV as it would on what you're targeting and everything in between.

GabeV
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello Jim,

Take a look at the perf guide for EV 11 - Chapter 12:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC7346

"File System Archiving does not impose a heavy load on the file server , but there may be some IO to the disks containing the files to be archived".

I think that you should monitor the I/O on the disks. Also, look at the summary table on page 63. That table provides some numbers (kilobits per seconds) of how much data can be archived per hour. WIth 1MM files, you can easily calculate the size of the data and get an idea of how much time do you need to archive all the files.

I hope this helps.

Jim_Hellewell
Level 4
Partner

Thanks everyone fo replying. I will look at the suggested document, and I guess the best thing I can do for my environment is monitor it when I get it operational.

regards

Jim