cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do you administrator EV from? Your desktop or the server?

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,

Bit of a ''survey' question for you.  Where do you run the VAC when you administrer EV.  On your desktop or on the server itself.  If it's on the server directly, why?  Also is your EV server connected to the internet or not?

The reason I ask is because we're always wondering how much the EV admin console should carry links to online resources(such as this forum) to help our customers find information.  However I also know a lot of customer EV servers do not have a direct internet connection.  So we could add all these helpful links in the console, only to find no one can really use them anyhow.

Also would be interested in how you think EV should better integrate 'online'.

Very interested to see the results.

Cheers,
Mike Bilsborough
Director, Enterprise Vault Engineering
5 REPLIES 5

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi Mike

I'm using it from the Server most of the time, which has internet access.

But even if there is no internet access, you should integrate it more with online ressources, but keep in mind that the links should be designed in a way that they can be copied and pasted to another machine, if needed.

/Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.

Wayne_Humphrey
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I would say its a 50/50 of servers I have worked on that have Internet access.....  if not more one the side that don't.  Larger orgs do not allow this its more of your smaller customer base that do have Internet access on the servers, well direct anyways if the large orgs do have it its through a proxy, but no direct so no ftp and so forth, but http.

Just my two cents worth, if you going to have it, have a option to disable it ;)

--wayne

GertjanA
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Hello Mike,

We're managing from the server. We use one server as the managing console. (sort of) no internetconnection.

We will be switching to some sort of (virtual?) desktop (xp/vista/7??) which will have the necessary tools installed for us admins. Think of Exchange System Manager, Vault Console, AD UAC, Forefront, SMS, etc. When in operation, I do not know, expect this to be soon.

Regards,
Regards. Gertjan

philt
Level 5
Most definitely the desktop. Server very rarely. We use roles based administration so am curious to know what you log onto your servers as (eg service account or your user account?)

Yes online resources in VAC would be helpful. The only issue we have with the VAC on the desktop is when we upgrade the EV Client and have to remove VAC to install the new client and then install VAC.

Cheers,
Phil

Sortid
Level 6
Generally Desktop, but for functions like Vault Store usage which doesn't work from my desktop, or for opening new partitions I do from the server.