cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which date is used to determine archiving of Outlook Calendar items?

charles-k
Level 5
I'm running EV 8.0 SP3.  If I'm archiving Outlook Calendar items like meeting requests/responses (IPM.Schedule*), which date does EV use to determine whether an item will be archived?  Is it the creation date of the item or the date of the meeting/event?  Can someone please advise?  Thanks.

Charles
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee
EV will not archive items when there are still recurring instances of the item. Archiving the original item would cause a problem with updating subsequent recurring instances of that item, so none of the instances of the recurring item will be archived until the final instance has expired.

The archiving operation will be based on the creation or last modified date as per other Exchange items

Hope that's clear enough this time. It's an odd one to put clearly into words!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

By default, calendar items will not be archived until they have expired. This policy can be changed via Policies > Exchange > Mailbox > policy properties > advanced tab. For appointment items, again the default is to not archive items which have pending reminders. Once the reminder has gone or the calendar item is no longer unexpired then the items will be archived as per the archiving policy

Judy_Glazier
Level 6
Partner
Charles

Quick answer is creation date (or date received in your Outlook).

Nick is correct, when that calendar item was received it will be eligible for arciving based on your aged based archiving rule, e.g. after 60 days.  However, if it is a re-occurring appointment it will not be archived by default until it has expired.

Judy

charles-k
Level 5
I'm archiving items older than 6 months.  So if I receive a request for a meeting one year from today, that meeting request will NOT get archived after 6 months, since the meeting hasn't taken place yet (it's unexpired)?  What about recurring appointments?  If I have a weekly recurring meeting that was originally set up 3 years ago, it will NOT get archived until the recurrence ends or is stopped?  Or does it archive only the recurrences that have already taken place, while leaving the future recurrences alone?  Thanks.

Charles

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee

>>So if I receive a request for a meeting one year from today, that meeting request will NOT get archived after 6 months, since the meeting hasn't taken place yet (it's unexpired)?

Correct

>>What about recurring appointments?  If I have a weekly recurring meeting that was originally set up 3 years ago, it will NOT get archived until the recurrence ends or is stopped?

Correct

The policy will allow you to change this behaviour though as per my comment above

charles-k
Level 5
Nick,

Thanks so much for your response.  If you can clarify one thing re. recurring appointments -- When you say that EV will not archive a recurring meeting until the recurrence ends or is stopped, does the entire series get left alone, or will EV start archiving those instances that meet my age-based archiving criteria?  If I have a weekly recurring meeting that was set up 3 years ago, will EV not touch *all* weekly occurrences going back 3 years, or will it actually start archiving those instances that are older than 6 months (my age threshold)?

Also, for those calendar items that have expired, does EV use the creation date or the meeting/event date to determine whether or not it should be archived?

Thanks again for your help.

Charles

Nick_White
Level 6
Employee
EV will not archive items when there are still recurring instances of the item. Archiving the original item would cause a problem with updating subsequent recurring instances of that item, so none of the instances of the recurring item will be archived until the final instance has expired.

The archiving operation will be based on the creation or last modified date as per other Exchange items

Hope that's clear enough this time. It's an odd one to put clearly into words!

charles-k
Level 5
Thanks Nick, I appreciate the assistance!

Charles