cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Missing Indexes for vault databases

Aaron_Morris
Level 4
All,

I was wondering if it's OK to create the missing indexes in SQL for the vault databases that don't have any indexes.  Will this affect performance?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Why are they missing?  I'd be concerned if there are are other issues with the databases as well.  However it is also possible to 'over index' a database whereby you can have a negative overall impact on performance.  So for example you may create an index which improves lookup performance but has a negative impact when inserting the record into the database in the first place.

So yes go ahead and create indexes which you'd expect to be there but I'd be wary about doing anything more.

Cheers,
Mike

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Michael_Bilsbor
Level 6
Accredited
Hi,
Why are they missing?  I'd be concerned if there are are other issues with the databases as well.  However it is also possible to 'over index' a database whereby you can have a negative overall impact on performance.  So for example you may create an index which improves lookup performance but has a negative impact when inserting the record into the database in the first place.

So yes go ahead and create indexes which you'd expect to be there but I'd be wary about doing anything more.

Cheers,
Mike