cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your server administrastor has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously

AL_G
Level 4

Hello

We're getting numerous reports of this sort of message occuring.
There are 3 different error messages but all with the same theme:

"Cannot display the folder. Microsoft Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. Your server administrastor has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously. Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing"

"Cannot move the items. Your server administrastor has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously. Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing"

"Cannot open the free/busy information. Your server administrastor has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously. Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing"

These are generally nor reproducable "at will" but happen perioidcally.
However in all cases, when the Vault Add-in in not loaded it dosn't seem to happen.

I notice this error was listed in the following article:
TECH153152 : Hotfix for Symantec Enterprise Vault (EV) for Microsoft Exchange 9.0.1, Build 1073 - Cu...
"When browsing Microsoft Exchange Public Folders an error may be reported in the Outlook client interface (Etrack 2195812)
The following error may be logged during browsing of Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:

Cannot display the folder.  Your server administrator has limited the number of items you can open simultaneously.  Try closing messages you have opened or removing attachments and images from unsent messages you are composing"

HOWEVER - this article says it applies "when browsing ...Public Folders" (which is not the scenario we're seeing).

We have tried the latest client and it still seems to be happening.

- Has anyone else seen this?
- Does anyone know if this fix ONLY applies to the PF scenario?

Any other suggestions about how to "debug" / "pinpoint" the root cause further?

Thanks

-AL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What version of outlook are they using?
What version of exchange are they using?
What version of the client are they using?
Have any of the users reported this more than once or is it different users?

If its the same select group of users would suggest setting client logging to full so next time when it happens you have something from the client that may provide whats going on

I know there was an issue with outlook 2010 and too many folders would hang the client, but i don't remember it giving any specific error, but the fact that it trawls through each folder for different reasons, it could be that exchange is rejecting the requests due to too many simultaneous connections (probably because people used to set up Indexing on their desktop and bring exchange to its knees as it trawled the exchange servers)

What i would suggest is upgrading to the cumulative hotfix, although it says Public Folders, it may resolve mailbox issues as well

Also googling around based on "Your administrator has limited....." seems to show that your exchange admins may have placed a limit on MAPI Connections, I know in Exchange 2010 this is set by default to i think 32 which is why that powershell script has to be run to stop any errors....in Exchange 2010 its called "Throttling"

If you look on the Event logs of the exchange servers do you see any Event 9646? This should be logged when a user gets that error message, will also give you an idea of how big in scope this issue is.

So it looks like the EV Client is going nutso when scanning the mailboxes (For whatever reason) or it could be a combination of EV Client + AntiVirus + Indexing, however by defauly the limit is 32 mapi sessions so i'm not sure why any of the clients would need more than 1 anyway!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

JesusWept3
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

What version of outlook are they using?
What version of exchange are they using?
What version of the client are they using?
Have any of the users reported this more than once or is it different users?

If its the same select group of users would suggest setting client logging to full so next time when it happens you have something from the client that may provide whats going on

I know there was an issue with outlook 2010 and too many folders would hang the client, but i don't remember it giving any specific error, but the fact that it trawls through each folder for different reasons, it could be that exchange is rejecting the requests due to too many simultaneous connections (probably because people used to set up Indexing on their desktop and bring exchange to its knees as it trawled the exchange servers)

What i would suggest is upgrading to the cumulative hotfix, although it says Public Folders, it may resolve mailbox issues as well

Also googling around based on "Your administrator has limited....." seems to show that your exchange admins may have placed a limit on MAPI Connections, I know in Exchange 2010 this is set by default to i think 32 which is why that powershell script has to be run to stop any errors....in Exchange 2010 its called "Throttling"

If you look on the Event logs of the exchange servers do you see any Event 9646? This should be logged when a user gets that error message, will also give you an idea of how big in scope this issue is.

So it looks like the EV Client is going nutso when scanning the mailboxes (For whatever reason) or it could be a combination of EV Client + AntiVirus + Indexing, however by defauly the limit is 32 mapi sessions so i'm not sure why any of the clients would need more than 1 anyway!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alex-allen-turl-07370146

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

That hotfix will, most likely, fix the issues you've described.

Whilst the hotfix *says* public folders, that's just how it was first reported to us... I've tested it against mailboxes, and public folders, and you can get the same error....  the hotfix cured that.

Hope that helps,

Working for cloudficient.com

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Is there anything else needed on this issue?

Working for cloudficient.com