cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

enable mailboxes - no mailboxes found

jfarber-123
Level 4
I'm setting up Enterprise Vault for the first time. I've run the deployment scanner and it runs without warnings. In the Vault MMC snapin I can see the Exchange mailserver, plus icons for the public folder and journal mailbox. But I don't see icons for the mailboxes and when I run Tools\Enable Mailboxes it shows no mailboxes found. I have Outlook 2003 installed on the Vault server and it can get to the system mailbox without problems. The vault account has send/receive rights to the exchange mail store. The vault account is part of the Exchange server  local admin group and also part of most of the Exchange domain groups. When choosing the system mailbox I can read the mailbox list.and choose the system mailbox. I'm not sure if this is a rights issue or something I've missed in the setup. The Exchange server is Exchange 2007, if that makes a difference.For a while I was able to see the provisioned mailbox but in playing around with the setup to get to the next step I lost it. All I can think of was that I removed some Exchange domain groups from the vault account, but adding them back in didn't bring the provsioned mailbox back. Any help would be appreciated. Jacob.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Can you tell me if you have setup a provisioning group correctly ? and then run the provisioning task ?

A provisioning group is setup under Enterprise Vault > Directory on xxxx > Sitename > Targets > Exchange > Exchange Server > Provisionning Group

Here you will have to create a group for Enterprise Vault to use then allow your (or automatically) enable users.  A provisioning group is basically creating a grouping of users that you wish to allow for archiving.  A provisioning group can be based on Window group,  Windows User, Distribution Group, OU, LDAP query, Whole Organisation.

It is recommended not to use Windows User.

If you run the provisioning task in report mode (right click task choose "run now" and choose report mode), what does it show you ? the report will be generated in program files\Enterprise Vault\reports and could be in a subfolder depending on the version of Enterprise Vault. The report should be called "Exchange Provisioning Task Reportxxxxxxx.txt"

HTH

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

PJuster
Level 5
Employee Accredited
Hi,

Can you tell me if you have setup a provisioning group correctly ? and then run the provisioning task ?

A provisioning group is setup under Enterprise Vault > Directory on xxxx > Sitename > Targets > Exchange > Exchange Server > Provisionning Group

Here you will have to create a group for Enterprise Vault to use then allow your (or automatically) enable users.  A provisioning group is basically creating a grouping of users that you wish to allow for archiving.  A provisioning group can be based on Window group,  Windows User, Distribution Group, OU, LDAP query, Whole Organisation.

It is recommended not to use Windows User.

If you run the provisioning task in report mode (right click task choose "run now" and choose report mode), what does it show you ? the report will be generated in program files\Enterprise Vault\reports and could be in a subfolder depending on the version of Enterprise Vault. The report should be called "Exchange Provisioning Task Reportxxxxxxx.txt"

HTH

Gonz
Level 5
Employee
If the above fails, it would be very helpful if you dtrace the following process EvExchangePolicySyncTask while running the provisioning task.

For dtracing, open a command line window

c:\program files\enterprise vault
dtrace
set EvExchangePolicySyncTask v
log c:\provisioningtask.log

Then you go back to the Enterprise Vault console and runt the provisioning task.

When it finishes go to the command line window and type 

log
quit

Send the log file c:\provisioningtask.log

For me it looks clearly like a lack of permission of the Enterprise Vault System Account in the Exchange Server 2007

Please verify as well, the following technote: http://support.veritas.com/docs/288150 

Enterprise Vault Sytem Account needs Full Control in the Exchange Server 2007 (mailbox role) and also in the System Mailbox.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

jfarber-123
Level 4
I checked the report on the results of the provisioning task and found that it had errored out. I had set the VSA as a read-only Exchange administrator,but when I checked the status of the VSA account it had 2 entries for the read-only admin group. One had a red X by it, the other looked normal. I removed the account that had the red X and then rebooted the EV server. I was then able to run the provisioning task without error and the provisioned mailbox showed up when I ran the enable mailbox task. I then ran the enable mailbox task and the provsioned mailbox appeared. The task ran without error.I am now able to run the enable task.
Thanks             Jacob