Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many mailboxes can EV 2007 archive

Mr__Topaji
Level 3
Partner
Hi guys,
Does anybody know how many mailboxes can EV 2007 archive?
Is there any limitation in this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Well, you could look at the performance guide but as said earlier you can consult with symc professional services or a qualified partner to do you a proper solutions design.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

TonySterling
EV is very scalable.

How large is your environment?  How many Exchange servers?

Mr__Topaji
Level 3
Partner
well, I have two backend servers(clustered), and two frontend servers
currently I have 4200 mailboxes, and soon I will have more than 10k mailboxes
could EV 2007 be suitable for this case?

sleddog
Level 5
Partner
Enterprise Vault has many, many deployements larger than 10K mailboxes. To be sure you are architeched/designed to scale optimally, I would enlist Symantec Consulting, There are many considerations in a deployment that you'll want to go over with them.

Mr__Topaji
Level 3
Partner
Thanks guys.
How could I insure these considerations? and how to insure that my solution is stable and scalable?

Message Edited by Mr. Topaji on 05-04-2008 12:59 AM

TonySterling
Well, you could look at the performance guide but as said earlier you can consult with symc professional services or a qualified partner to do you a proper solutions design.

Brian_Day
Level 6
We have one EV server for every 4,000 user Exchange server we have.

Our original Symantec consulting services design called for 2:1, but then another architect much later on site felt 3,500 is normally the highest you would want to go. He found the original architect pretty much didn't take into account we are doing quota-based archiving which uses more connections per user and we ended up changing it to 1:1.

A lot of it is going do depend on if you are doing age-based or quota-based archiving, and then how many items per day are moved off of Exhange and into the secondary storage.

Mr__Topaji
Level 3
Partner
mm.. so it is just a matter of increasing the quantity of EV servers   right?

Brian_Day
Level 6

@MR. Topaji wrote:
mm.. so it is just a matter of increasing the quantity of EV servers   right?

Well pretty much, but you are also constrained by you can't go any better than 1:1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but if you had 8,000 mailboxes on an Exchange 2007 mailbox server (perfectly doable), you can't have 2 EV servers servicing the same Exchange 2007 mailbox server.

This was one of the suggestions Symantec gave us, to reduce our user count per Exchange server if we wanted to continue doing 2 Exchange to 1 EV server. This was unacceptable in our view as our investment in Exchange was already in place, all of our designs and disk subsytems were spec'd out specifically for 4,000 users per server, and reducing that # would be a huge financial hit for us.