cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a new index set

Aaron_Heid
Level 4
My index set has gotten too large (it needed to be rebuilt and took a while because it is so large) for my Journal store.  Is there a way to roll over to a new index set without creatinf a new journal partition?

I am using EV 6 sp4.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DavidO
Level 4
Partner

I would suggest creating a new journal archive, then modifying the Journal Mailbox target to point to the new archive. All new messages will go into the new journal archive which will have its own index. Some companies do this as a matter of routine every year.

Dave

www.vault-solutions.com

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DavidO
Level 4
Partner

I would suggest creating a new journal archive, then modifying the Journal Mailbox target to point to the new archive. All new messages will go into the new journal archive which will have its own index. Some companies do this as a matter of routine every year.

Dave

www.vault-solutions.com

jimbo2
Level 6
Partner

Creating a new archive is not a bad idea. You can create then per quarter and name then as such:

Journal2007Q1

If a compliance Officer understands that he/she needs to run a search in that time frame then this may save some time.

Also,

You can implement the reg keys below so your index will roll to a new index volume before it grows to big.

Tony Sterling compliled a document for Indexing best practices.

Enterprise Vault related Registry Keys

The following keys are specific to EV and will not affect any other operation system behavior.

AVSMaxLoc

Mailbox archive indexes rarely grow that large, however Journal archive indexes will grow until the reach the default maximum number of locations, which by default is 2 Billion in EV 6 sp1 and above. Leaving the default setting will result in Index Volumes over 15 GB’s in size! Such large indexes being searched by CA or DA can result in out of memory issues and slow search performance and lead to the index volumes being marked as Failed.

For this reason it is Best Practice to set the AVSMaxLoc registry key to keep the index volumes from becoming unmanageable. Setting this key will cause your index volumes to automatically roll over sooner. If you already have large index volumes in your environment you will need to rebuild them using the IndexVolumeReplay utility.

We have found that setting this key will allow CA and DA searches perform better and additionally, in the event of a failure, you will be able to recover your index volumes faster.

A restart of the Indexing Service is necessary.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\KVS\Enterprise Vault\Indexing

Name

AVSMaxLoc

Type

DWORD

Value

500000000 (500 million) Decimal

DimaV
Level 2
Assuming you have a journal Archive that was created during original installation EV 2007 (no service packs), right now it's running EV2007 SP2. there are 3 indexes for this journal archive:

index1 - size 20gb
index2 - size 19gb (rolled over from index1)
index3 - size 8 gb (rolled over from index2) ***current archive index***

Going forward I'd like archive indexes to rollover faster (i.e. want to keep indexes around 4-5gb in size). If I set AVSMaxLoc to 500000000 locations, will index 3 rollover automatically assuming it has already reached that limit, and future rollover will follow this limit? or do I have to create a fresh new journal archive, in roder for this setting to take effect?

Thank You

dimav

TonySterling
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I just answered your question on a previous post.

Yes if you set AVSMaxLoc Index 3 will immediately rollover.

Regards,