cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

make the Archived PST available via OWA

Ahmed_Mostafa_H
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I have EV Server Version 10.0.4 installed on windows server 2008 ... I use EV to archive PST file that store at user machine and maped to Outlook profile ...

my question 

when user open OWA(Outlook Web Access for Exchange) is there are any way to let user see the PST files archived at EV ?

I need to make the Archived PST available via OWA 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you create shortcuts to the items as the PST was being ingested? (Part of the policy etc)? Did you ingest the PST to a particular folder (and subfolders)

If so, then yes, then can double click on an archived item, and it will retrieve the archived item and render it for the user.

That also requires the Outlook Web Access extensions .... no different than with Outlook, by the way.  In order to retrieve an archived item, from the archive, an 'extension' is needed.  Just with OWA you only need to deploy it to each CAS not each workstation.

Working for cloudficient.com

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

They can access Archive Explorer or the Search page.

The only requirement there is that you have to install the Outlook Web Access extensions on to your appropriate CAS (or CAS's) in Exchange.

Ahmed_Mostafa_H
Level 4
Partner Accredited

this meen that there no any way to let user access Archived PST file through OWA..

they must open  Archive Explorer or the Search page to access Archived PST and i must install OWA extension on CAS Server ...

Is the OWA extension has direct isntaler or i must Configure something on CAS Server ?

Rob_Wilcox1
Level 6
Partner

Did you create shortcuts to the items as the PST was being ingested? (Part of the policy etc)? Did you ingest the PST to a particular folder (and subfolders)

If so, then yes, then can double click on an archived item, and it will retrieve the archived item and render it for the user.

That also requires the Outlook Web Access extensions .... no different than with Outlook, by the way.  In order to retrieve an archived item, from the archive, an 'extension' is needed.  Just with OWA you only need to deploy it to each CAS not each workstation.

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

As Rob is saying, if you have IMPORTED those PSTs into the users Archive, or used PST migration (I assume that is what you mean when you say you have Archived PSTs) then the items should now be in the Archive, and if you selected to create shortcuts in the users mailboxes during Import then it is a simple case of accessing the items as you would any other items in the mailbox.

So to answer your question, if you have used PST Migration or Import to Archive from PST, and have created shortcuts in the users mailbox, then yes you can access those items via OWA.

If you did not create shortcuts in the users mailboxes then No you are unable to access the items via OWA and will need to use Search Archive/Archive Explorer.

Quick question, you mention you use EV to archive PSTs, do you use EV for anything else, for example archiving mailboxes and replacing items with shortcuts?

Ahmed_Mostafa_H
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Dear Ben Watts and Rob.Wilcox

yes i am using the EV to archive the PST only

and in Exchange PST Migration Policy I creat shortcut in associted mailbox under root folder

and in shortcut content i show only the header and body ..

the Shortcut Created in user mailbox and  the user can retrive mail using Outlook Client .....

but when the user Open OWA he see the Shorutcut Only but he cannot retrive any mail using OWA..

there are any EV button appear in OWA page

I enabled the log of the EV OWA Extension and I Upload the log file please Find it "EVOwaLog_test1.txt"

Ben_Watts
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I would recommend running through the OWA configuration wizard http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO75066 just to make sure that you have got Exchange\OWA setup correctly for EV.

To be honest we will need a bit more information around what you are and are not seeing when the item is recalled, the IIS log from both the Exchange and EV Server and a Dtrace MAY be helpful, dependant on if the call is even getting as far as the EV server.

Run through the above wizard and let us know the outcome.