Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

move archive

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi,

move archive of;

2  different evserver ,2  different directory,2 different  site,same domain,same exchange is not working.

i will write my steps which i follewed;

-Disable mbx.

-Move archive.

-Destination to new archive selected.

-Move archive status completed.

-Old server user archive renamed.

-New server user archive seen.In reporting page i can see the all of the migrated items.everything is ok

-Items are still reachable.(if i delete old server renamed archive,items will be unreachable ,i tested.)

-In new server migrated archive is disabled,i will enabled on new server?

-I enabled migrated user in new server with enable wizard.(with selecting  existing index and exsisting vault store )

(after enable this archive,empty permissions pane is filled with related user permissions.)(after move archive completed,permissions not transfered to new archive on new server,enable operation do this.)

-Then i delete completed  move archive task in task status screen.(renamed old server archive automatically deleted.)

-Archived shortcuts unreachable!!!  new items archiving works.(shortcuts couldnt updated.)

(new server have same  exchaneg task and provisioning group of related user.)

what is your idea?

thanks...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

I must have been having a brain block before.  Re-reading the case it stands out why the shortcut update phase is omitted.

When you are doing the move you are selecting 'New archive' for the destination.  This means that the Move Archive process will create a new archive in the destination - as such it is just an archive that is not linked to any mailbox.  What you need to do is the following:

1. Disable the mailbox in the source site

2. (Ideally) Make sure the user is no longer covered by a provisioning group in the source site.  This is important as you are targeting the same Exchange server in each site.

3. Provisioning and Enable the user in the destination site.  After this you will be ready to create a Move Archive job.

4. In the source site go through the Move Archive wizard - when it comes to selecting the destination archive you want to make sure it's linked to the archive/mailbox that now exists thanks to enabling the mailbox in step 3.

5. Now when move archive runs you should get a phase where it sits at Updating shortcuts (sorry can't remember the exact words).

6. When it hits this phase move to the destination site, Right click the archiving task and select Run Now, select a single mailbox for shortcut processing only and do a run.  This should perform the required shortcut updates.

7. After a while in the source site the move archive job should move to completed.

Again - I would suggest running this against another test user but hopefully this should get you there.

Regards

Karl

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

You have a small clue that needs investigating -

"-Archived shortcuts unreachable!!!  new items archiving works.(shortcuts couldnt updated.)"

Did the shortcut update phase happen successfully?  What does the move archive log for the user report?

-Karl

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

move archive finished succesfully.

i can see the moved archive in new server,also old server archive renamed.

i also enable archive in new server with existing index and vs(permission caem with this step.)

i attached the move archive logs.

thanks..

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks...

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

The first log file shows that Shortcut Processing has been omitted

28.06.2011 16:39:51 Started Processing
28.06.2011 16:39:54 Shortcut processing will be omitted for this task as the archive is being moved to a new archive in a different directory.
28.06.2011 16:39:54 Step 1 of 5 - Copying.
28.06.2011 16:39:55 New destination archive 1CBEBC12ED0A02846A3BD9E67717CBD7D1110000evsite created.
28.06.2011 16:40:04 Progress Statistics: Total items: 5. Items processed: 5. Errors: 0.
28.06.2011 16:40:04 Shortcut processing is omitted.

Did you read the Admin Guide prior to doing this? The reason I ask is your steps don't seem to match those indicated in the document. I've pasted them here....

Moving active archives between sites

Move Archive lets you move archives between Enterprise Vault sites. This is useful

when you want to move an individual users mailbox to a different Domino or

Exchange mail server in another Enterprise Vault site.

In this case, you must disable archiving for the user in the source site, then move

the mailbox and enable it for archiving in the destination. When you have done

this, you can use Move Archive to move the associated archive to the destination

site.

This section describes the actions you must complete to move a users mailbox,

and the subsequent steps that are required to move the archive.

To move the users mailbox:

Disable archiving on the users mailbox in the source site.

Move the users mailbox from the source mail server to the mail server in the

destination site.

Provision the users mailbox on the destination Enterprise Vault server.

Enable the user for archiving in the destination site.

The users mailbox is now enabled for archiving in the destination site, but the

existing shortcuts in the users mailbox still point to the source archive. New

content is archived to the newly created destination archive.

When you have moved the users mailbox and enabled it for archiving in the

destination site, you can move the inactive source archive. In this case, the move

operation includes the following steps:

Move Archive closes the source archive. However, the source archive is still

accessible in read-only mode.

Move Archive renames the source archive. It appends the archives creation

date, and the date of the move operation to the archives name.

Move Archive copies the data from the source archive to the destination.

The mailbox archiving task on the destination server points all the shortcuts

in the users mailbox to the content in the newly created archive in the

destination site.

Move Archive completes this step even if you do not use mailbox shortcuts in

your environment.

Move Archive waits for the destination vault store to be backed up, except

when the source vault store is configured to remove safety copies immediately

after archiving.

Move Archive verifies that all the data is present in the destination archive.

The move operation is now complete and you may delete the source archive 

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i followed the admin guide steps ,and i applied above steps.

but i have a problem.

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

"Then i delete completed  move archive task in task status screen.(renamed old server archive automatically deleted.)"

I've not used MA between sites, but looking at the Admin Guide text, the fact that the original task was deleted, and you mention the original archive was then deleted, is where this has gone wrong.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

when the MA completed in the status screen. 

when i delete the task on screen it asks that i will also delete archive and selecting yes deletes the archive of old sever.

there is no problem of deleting old archive but archive of the new server should work,it is working for the new items but shortcuts is not working.(i tried this operation with test users they have just 4-5 archived mails in mailbox)

i dont understand the why shortcuts is not updated?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Yes, I think the issue here is the fact that MA reported it wasn't going to update the shortcuts, because it was going to a new archive across sites. The doc infers that there would be a MA operation to copy the original archive data across afterwards, thus allowing the shortcuts to work.

I've not really tested MA that much, but it appears to be doing this correctly. There must have been a step missing somewhere? As it mentions

Move Archive copies the data from the source archive to the destination.

■ The mailbox archiving task on the destination server points all the shortcuts

in the user’s mailbox to the content in the newly created archive in the

destination site.

I would expect this to be the key part....

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

shortcut processing task in new server but shortcuts was still unreachable.

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

are there any way to update shourtcuts in new server?

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Is there any chance you can setup a test user and process them? That way you can ensure that the steps you are following were 100% right. It may be useful to write the steps down into a document and check them off as you go through them.

You could use the references in this blog, https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/restoreshortcutbody, and run it against the affected user only - BE CAREFUL and make sure you only select that one user!! This may resolve the shortcut issue (but I'm not totally sure as the MA process doesn't seem to have properly completed)..

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i done this test with test user there are just 5 archived mail in this user MBX.

i applied your TN and run shortcut processing in report mode for this user,burt shortcuts are still unreachable.

do you have any idea?

if this test is succesfull ,then i will carry alot of users from other site.

thanks...

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

That's the only way I know of. This shouldn't be the way you are doing this, as in doing additional steps outside that of Move Archive, hence my point about a new Test user (as I didn't know this was a test user) and just try the process again.......

Sorry that I can't help out much more, I've got to the limit of my MA knowledge...

KarlW
Level 6
Employee

Hi,

I must have been having a brain block before.  Re-reading the case it stands out why the shortcut update phase is omitted.

When you are doing the move you are selecting 'New archive' for the destination.  This means that the Move Archive process will create a new archive in the destination - as such it is just an archive that is not linked to any mailbox.  What you need to do is the following:

1. Disable the mailbox in the source site

2. (Ideally) Make sure the user is no longer covered by a provisioning group in the source site.  This is important as you are targeting the same Exchange server in each site.

3. Provisioning and Enable the user in the destination site.  After this you will be ready to create a Move Archive job.

4. In the source site go through the Move Archive wizard - when it comes to selecting the destination archive you want to make sure it's linked to the archive/mailbox that now exists thanks to enabling the mailbox in step 3.

5. Now when move archive runs you should get a phase where it sits at Updating shortcuts (sorry can't remember the exact words).

6. When it hits this phase move to the destination site, Right click the archiving task and select Run Now, select a single mailbox for shortcut processing only and do a run.  This should perform the required shortcut updates.

7. After a while in the source site the move archive job should move to completed.

Again - I would suggest running this against another test user but hopefully this should get you there.

Regards

Karl

MarkBarefoot
Level 6
Employee

Good spot Karl. That's the key to all of this. As the report was stating, it was never going to do the Shortcut update as it was a New Archive....

K_G
Level 6
Partner Accredited

your steps is works.