planning to NIC teaming on enterprise vault server version 9.0

sandeepk
Level 5
Partner Accredited

I have 3 tried servers

1. Enterprise vault application with indexing
  2. SQL database
  3. EV Storage

All server are connect on 1 gbps network and 2000 user mail box enable for archiving and 3000 mail boxes for journaling on enterprise vault.

Now I am planning to add extra NIC card on all server and configure NIC teaming .so I want answer below question

1. Should I do NIC Teaming YES/NO
  2. What is impact on production and user side

Kindly give a suggestion for this activity  

Regards

Sandeep k

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I think this should be a question for your Network guys. From an EV point of view, when you team your NICs as long as the EV Site alias resolves to your EV server hostname and the host name resolves to your NIC team's IP address then there shouldn't be any issue. It is like "clustering" your NICs so I don't see why you shouldn't do it, in fact it will be a benefit, Again you should consult your Network guys for these.

When you are teaming your NICs you should do it out of hours time as users will lose their connection to the EV server.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

LCT
Level 6
Accredited Certified

I think this should be a question for your Network guys. From an EV point of view, when you team your NICs as long as the EV Site alias resolves to your EV server hostname and the host name resolves to your NIC team's IP address then there shouldn't be any issue. It is like "clustering" your NICs so I don't see why you shouldn't do it, in fact it will be a benefit, Again you should consult your Network guys for these.

When you are teaming your NICs you should do it out of hours time as users will lose their connection to the EV server.

AndrewB
Partner    VIP    Accredited

i guess my only question is are you teaming for redundancy or for more throughput?

it really has nothing to do with EV and is completely dependant on your server and your network.

Sortid
Level 6

We team 2x1Gb NICs on our EV servers to provide a 2Gb link and have had no issues.  The switch needs to support port channeling and be configured on the ports.  There may be a couple of reboots so it will interupt users.  Do it from the console as it will lose connectivity to the network until the IP is entered on the new virtual interface (note IP settings before you start as this will need to be set up again).