cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Tools" menu option missing in EV6 console

rms373
Level 4

Hello all,

I am running a small install of EV6.0.27.3 for MS Exchange and have been manually enabling mailboxes for EV through the "Tools" menu option from the console.

A little while ago, i started having problems with the console, so i deleted it and created a new MMC console. All was good until i realised i do not have the "tools" menu option anymore and can't find it anywhere else within EV.

Any help / suggestion for bringing back the "tools" menu option - or even just the wizard i was using to select and enable mailboxes, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

Renato_Loberto
Level 2

It sounds to me like you're not opening the Vault Administration Console (VAC) using the Enterprise Vault admin account, therefore it will not give you the option to enable mailboxes etc.

Make sure you're logged onto the EV Directory server as the Vault admin account and then try to open the VAC.

Amit_Gupta
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
What version of mmc are you using?

rms373
Level 4

Hello Renato, thanks for replying.

I am using the vault admin account, the name of the account reflects that and i have checked through the Directory properties to make sure.

Unfortunately, the way this happened was that the vault account got locked out while i was archiving emails - when i noticed it was locked, i closed all the windows, logged off, unlocked the service account and then tried launching the VAC - it kept giving errors and would not open, so i deleted it and created a new admin console using the MMC and adding the snap-in for EV. The new console did not include a "tools" menu so i have no way, that i know of, of accessing the enable mailbox wizard.

rms373
Level 4

Hello Amit,

I have MMC v3.0 installed on Win2k3 R2 with SP2.

Is there any way i can restore the default VAC?

Renato_Loberto
Level 2

Hi Raudy,

I think this might fix your problem. There is a known issue with the snapin.dll for the VAC when using W2k3 SP2. Article here : http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288797.htm

Close the VAC then download the file, extract the zip file into your Enterprise Vault installation directory (usually C:\Program Files\Enterprise Vault) and if asked to overwrite the file, click yes.

Let me know how you go.

Regards,

Renato

rms373
Level 4

Hi Renato,

Thanks for the reply, and yes, i do ALSO get that error - but didn't mention it because i didn't want to confuse the issue.

I will upgrade to SP4 and then apply the fix and see if that does the trick and let you know.

thanks

rms373
Level 4

Should i just upgrade straight away to SP6 for EV6?

I presume the hotfix is only if you patch-level is SP4?

Renato_Loberto
Level 2

The patch does specifically mention EV6.0 SP4, so I would assume 6.0SP6 would resolve the issue. If not a re-apply of the snapin.dll is all that would be needed.

But to answer your question, I would upgrade directly to EV6.0SP6. Just check the documentation for any changes to pre-req's located here : https://forums.symantec.com/syment/blog/article?message.uid=332309

MichelZ
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Did this fix your porblem?

Additionally, I suggest that you will update to a newer version of Enterprise Vault.

EV6 will be out of "standard support" on June 15, 2009.

ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/Exchange_Mailbox_Archiving_Unit/286509.pdf

Cheers

Michel

cloudficient - EV Migration, creators of EVComplete.