cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX Dissimilar hardware BMR restore failed

AhmedGamil84
Level 3

Dear All

i am trying to restore BMR " AIX 7.1" Master Server " Netbackup appliance 5230 version 2.7.3"

i made prepare to discovey to take all configuration from the new hardaware " i am sure that the new Server has more harddisk space than the original one" and after the the discover task was completed i create new configuration to can change it so i change the mac address to the new mac address and make initalize via the discover that i made before and remove the restrication in all Hard disk in the new server and map the new harddisk to rootvg , datavg and i am sure that the new one has more space than the old system , but i when i try to restore it is it is success to create the rootvg , but it is give me that error in datavg ( error failed to create logical volume fslv07) and log 

"0516-404 allocp: This system cannot fulfill the allocation request.
    There are not enough free partitions or not enough physical volumes
    to keep strictness and satisfy allocation requests.  The command
    should be retried with different allocation characteristics.
0516-822 mklv: Unable to create logical volume."

as i told you before i am sure new server has more space than original one

so can any one advice for this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi All

i open ticket with Veritas , they told me that Netackup support Multipath " EMC PowerPath and Native linux" only , so that why it is not working with me in my enviroment

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000020508

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you say you're trying to BMR restore the master? Cause that is not possible.

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

try to to use the option Restore system disks/volumes only.

Due to your log the creation of rootvg worked but datavg failed due to missing PPs. So if your disks are larger than the originals it may be possible that you have larger but less PPs !?

For Windows clients BMR I use this option. In most cases the restore of datadrives are faster.

ciao

tunix2k 

if i restore Restore system disks/volumes only.it is working fine my issue when i try retore datavg

so how can i know PP in original enviroment and how i increase it in my new enviroment maybe is working fine if i edit PP

i apperciate your support

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

if your server is restored one option you have is to create datavg and its volumes again and perform a restore.

I dont have experience with BMR of AIX server. So cant say that it is possible to change size or number of PP.

The total and used number of partion parts you can get on the original system with lsvg datavg.

ciao

tunix2k

so you mean restore system disk only after that create datavg and make restore again for datavg only....

if that true how can i restore datavg only without restore system disk again?

best regards

Ahmed Gamil

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

No !

1. Perform BMR restore with system Disk only.

2. Create datavg ; create logvolume create datavolume on datvg like before

3 .mount the new filesystems (if not done by creating lv)

4. Start a normal restore for content of new filesystem.

ciao

Hi All

i open ticket with Veritas , they told me that Netackup support Multipath " EMC PowerPath and Native linux" only , so that why it is not working with me in my enviroment

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000020508