Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Disk Shelf in to existing NBU appliance

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Experts,

I want to add a disk shelf to our exisiting NBU appliance setup, Can help me with any documentation or any old  post with images.

Thanks,

Nayab

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Nayab,

Please refer the doc http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7584 on how to add disk to existing shelf on page 60. No need to poweroff the production backup appliance.

regards..

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Something wrong with that URL... 
Try  http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO94258 

D_Flood
Level 6

We just went through this process with one of our 5220's and I'm thankful that we had a Tech do it because I couldn't find any good documentation of the physical parts of the process.  Here's a quick overview of what we had to do:

1) Order a shelf and a RAM upgrade since we have one of the early 5220's that only had 48G RAM.

2) Rack the new shelf

3) Power down the Appliance (but not the existing shelf)

4) Remove the old RAM

5) Install the new RAM (We kept the existing SAS controller but the upgrade kit came with one if we hadn't had one already.  We also reconfigured our Appliance for SAN fibre by taking out the 10G card and replacing it with two fibre cards but that's another project...)

6) Cable everything up but leave the Appliance unplugged from power (there is a good SAS cable diagram in the Shelf description PDF)

7) Power up the new shelf and wait for it to totally stabilize

8) Power up the Appliance and keep a close eye on it

9) Once it is fully up and the cache either starts to load (software 2.6) or is fully loaded (2.5 and below) then you can issue the commands to first "use the new area" then "expand into the new area".

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi All,

To add a disk shelf do i need to power down the appliance or i just connect my disk shelf and start using ? Or do i need to reboot the appliance to discover the new disk shelf ??? . Also please let me know how the connection is a DAISY CHAIN ??? Or different one ? Diagramatic representation would be more helpful.

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Maria,

I am asking about how to add a new DISK SHELF , but not assigning new disks to the appliance. Please help me accordingly.

Thanks,

Nayab

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Nayab,

Please refer the doc http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7584 on how to add disk to existing shelf on page 60. No need to poweroff the production backup appliance.

regards..

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Symtec, Thanks a lot that is the info exactly i am looking for :)

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hey Symctec,

Can i ask you when i add a disk shelf and add disk in to my appliance do i have control over disk to be assigned to which pool as i have CATALOG and MSDP pool i want my new disks to be into MSDP pool.

Thanks,

Nayab