cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone hosting LiveUpdate on a 5220 ?

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

We're starting to deploy some appliance-only environments and are very interested in hosting LiveUpdate files on an appliance. It's been pointed out that there is an existing Samba configuration section in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file that seems tailor-made for this. Unfortunately uncommenting it and restarting the samba service doesn't really buy us anything - we'd still have to hit every client (UNIX & Windows) manually to configure them for access first.

Is anyone else running LiveUpdate through an Appliance and if so, what config steps did you go through ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Now how fun would our jobs be if we only ran supported configurations, huh ? And think how bored all those poor support techs would be... =)

It took some time to figure out this week but I just upgraded 3 Windows boxes today from various NBU 7.x versions using a 5220 as a LiveUpdate server.

As soon as I can test out upgrading a UNIX box using the appliance I'll post the procedures.

- John

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I know it has taken a while to respond to this but wanted to make sure i got the answer right .... and I am afraid the answer is that it is not supported to host Live Update on an appliance

So it will need to be hosted elsewhere - but of course it doesn't have to be on a NetBackup server so you could put it anywhere in the environment

Hope this helps

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Now how fun would our jobs be if we only ran supported configurations, huh ? And think how bored all those poor support techs would be... =)

It took some time to figure out this week but I just upgraded 3 Windows boxes today from various NBU 7.x versions using a 5220 as a LiveUpdate server.

As soon as I can test out upgrading a UNIX box using the appliance I'll post the procedures.

- John

StefanosM
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I remember correctly, liveupdate for unix/linux systems require you to log on to the client and manually mount the liveupdate share.

I never use liveupdate for *NIX systems. I prefer the good old client installation  push scripts.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Hopefully not - will test that out next week to confirm on some clients though. The few boxes I've manually browsed over to the LU share can access it fine though w/out modification. =)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Leave this one with you then - but cannot reccomend an unsupported configuration to anyone (however boring not doing it may be)

So just wanted to put this on the end of the thread so that anyone seeing the answer marked by yourself as the Solution will also understand that if they do it they will also be unsupported and as we are talking appliances here I really would not want anyone to invalidate they warranty or support on such a piece of kit for the sake of just adding in a dedicated LU server to their system.

jnardello
   VIP    Certified

Spoiler - it may not be unsupported for long. =)

jnardello
   VIP    Certified