cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bplabel failed with the error message "error requesting media (tpreq) (98) " for a particular tape.

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Netbackup version is Appliance 5220.

The customer has a tape A which is stored NBU image previously, but all the images in A had been expired prior to this issue happened.

The customer put the tape A in the A pool, and there is only A tape in A pool, then the customer start up the backup to pick up the A tape from A pool, but they saw the error 96 immediately after the backup start up. Change the tape A into B pool, stracth pool also the same result.

The available_media command shows the A tape is available status.

From GUI, I found out the owner of the A tape is NONE since it's blank tape.

bplabel command failed with the below two type errors:

2013-12-2 15:42:57 - Error nbjm (pid=10956) NBU status: 800, EMM status: Media is not in pool
error requesting media (tpreq) (98)

Error nbjm (pid=10956) NBU status: 2015, EMM status: Media is expired
error requesting media (tpreq) (98)

It seems that the tape can't be labeled even it's really a blank tape.

The command 

vmphyinv -rn 0 -ml A also didn't report any error.

we confirm the robtest can move the problematical tape into the driver.

And the tpreq command can also mount the tape successfully.

In addition, the mt command can rewind the tape, and the tar command can write the ect/host file into this tape.

But I am not aware of why the bplabel command failed with the issue appearing that:error requesting media (tpreq) (98). And the tape can't be selected during the backup process which resulted in the 96 error.

The issue got resolved after I did the below two things:

vmdelete -m A

Then inventory the robot to add the tape back in emm database.

However, may I get your further clarification of the possible reason?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to check you media rules - the tape is showing as expired - this does not relate to data it relates to the tape itself - reteired as in too old and dont use it again

Usually this would be set under your barcide rules on the inventory section (inventory robot - advanced options - barcode rules) and is set as a maximum number of mounts (max mounts / cleanings)

That section should be set to zero.

You can also view this column (Columns - Layout .. show max mounts and also media expiry) in the media view of the admin console

You can change the max mounts and media expiry date for media by right clicking it and select "change"

Check your tapes and set them all to "no limit" for max mounts and "never" for expiration date to prevent this happening again

The reason it worked after you deleted it and re-added it was NetBackup saw it as new media so will start the clock again - but eventually it will physically expire again if you have these rules setup

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

You need to check you media rules - the tape is showing as expired - this does not relate to data it relates to the tape itself - reteired as in too old and dont use it again

Usually this would be set under your barcide rules on the inventory section (inventory robot - advanced options - barcode rules) and is set as a maximum number of mounts (max mounts / cleanings)

That section should be set to zero.

You can also view this column (Columns - Layout .. show max mounts and also media expiry) in the media view of the admin console

You can change the max mounts and media expiry date for media by right clicking it and select "change"

Check your tapes and set them all to "no limit" for max mounts and "never" for expiration date to prevent this happening again

The reason it worked after you deleted it and re-added it was NetBackup saw it as new media so will start the clock again - but eventually it will physically expire again if you have these rules setup

Hope this helps

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Thanks Mark's suggstion.

I just perform a quick test.

I changed the E01020 maixmum mount to 2, from the GUI, I saw the E01020's mount times is already 2.

Then I bpexpdate -m E01020 -d 0

Then I label the media, found out the similar issue tpreq 98:

12/4/2013 4:59:04 AM - begin Label
12/4/2013 4:59:04 AM - started process bplabel (1648)
12/4/2013 4:59:04 AM - requesting resource Scratch:E01020
12/4/2013 4:59:04 AM - Error nbjm(pid=3532) NBU status: 2100, EMM status: Maximum number of mounts has been exceeded for tape media
12/4/2013 4:59:05 AM - end Label; elapsed time: 00:00:01
error requesting media (tpreq)(98)

But I run the command:
tpreq -m E01020 -f c:\1

The tpreq successfully mount the tape into the drive.
vmoprcmd also show the media is mounted into one driver.

I am so believe the tpreq command when I deal with the customer's case, so I didn't check out the maximum mount setting of the tape. I wrongly think that I can maunally run the tpreq command to mount the tape, then the bplabel also should mount the tape. It's my fault.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your reply.

Best Regards
Gavin

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please check hardware expiration date as per Mark's suggestion (not Image expiration date).

Some users mistake this expiration setting with Image Expiration. 

Hardware expiration is set manually when the backup admin feels that the tape is faulty/too old to be used.

Gavin_Tu
Level 4
Employee

Thanks Marianne, I got the difference of the mdia expriation and image expiration.

Best Regards!