cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of management port after NBU appliance upgrade

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, recently I helped a customer to upgrade their NBU 5230 appliance to 2.6.0.3 (previously it is 2.5.4). The appliance was setup as master server. The onboard network port eth0 is the management port. After upgrade, we found that the management port is not accessible. We cannot ping the management IP address but we can still access the appliance via eth1 which was configured as production LAN last time. 

I would like to know:

Is this normal? If no, what happened here? If yes, does it mean the dedicated management port has been removed from the new release?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

D_Flood
Level 6

I've upgraded three 5220's and one 5230 from 2.5.4 to 2.6.0.2 and none of them lost the default eth0 settings.  The 5230 did loose it's IPMI port due to out of date firmware.  A call to Support supplied an upgraded firmware and directions to install it.

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello 

Starting with NetBackup Appliance 2.6.0.2 (was restricted in 2.6.0.1), you can now configure and use the eth0/NIC1 port to run backup jobs. You must configure the remote management (IPMI) port to access the appliance. Refer to the NetBackup 52xx Appliance Release Notes - Release 2.6.0.2

Here is a discussion on the change.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The appliances used to have a default eth0 IP address of 192.168.1.1 but in 2.6.x that is now set to 192.168.229.233 - i can only assume the upgrade changed it to that if it found it was using the default  .. what IP address did you see that it had after the upgrade?

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Previously we set the management port (eth0) IP address to be in the customer's production LAN.

I did some research and found some KBs said NetBackup appliances do not support configuring two IP addresses that belong to the same subnet. In our case, previously we set eth0 (management port0) and eth3 (for backup) to the same subnet (the customer's production network).

Is the issue because the two IP addresses are in the same subnet?

Laura_AR
Level 3

As this article says, there is no way to have both NICs in the same network;

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO101444

We hope this can be changed.