cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configure IOIO eth port

Stanleyj
Level 6

Doesn anyone know how to configure the IOIO port on the 5200.  Is it just a standard ethernet port that provides console access?  In the network settings nothing shows as a configurable console port.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I am running update 21 and it is working well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Stanleyj
Level 6

Maybe this is a better question.  Does anyone know who to remotely manage the appliance? 

I have one offiste that is flaking out on me and seems to be either be rebooting or crashing or something every couple of hours and because I cant seem to catch when the network port is back active i cant telnet into it.  Was looking for a possible console type connection and support briefly mentioned that the IOIO port on the back would do this but never mentioned how to configure.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Look at the section on IPMI. That is the method of managing the appliances remotely.

Stanleyj
Level 6

I just applied an ip to the IPMI port that you referenced.  SHould i be able to ping this port?

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

You should be able to and point a web browser to that port.Remember you will need the net mask and gateway settings as well.

SYMAJ
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Once you sort out the networking on the IPMI port, and log in success fully, you will need Java 7 on the PC to launch the remote admin console.

Also, watch out for keyboard mapping when in the remote console - on all of my installations it defaults to US style (the @ is over the 2 - usefull to know if you haven't changed the default password !!)

A few commands which may be of interest (run from the elevated maintenance prompt on the appliance):

ipmitool lan print 3 

ipmitool lan set 3 ipsrc static             [In case set to DHCP]

ipmitool lan set 3 ipaddr <IP Address>

ipmitool lan set 3 netmask <netmask> 

ipmitool lan set 3 defgw ipaddr <IP Address>    

ipmitool user list 3 

ipmitool set 3 access on  

ipmitool user set password 3 <password>     [No special chars]    

ipmitool mc reset cold                      [Try if settings not taken effect]

Also FYI IPMI uses the following ports:

TCP/80 (http)  

TCP/443 (https)

TCP/7578 (KVM redirection)

TCP/5900 (KVM keyboard & mouse) 

TCP/5123 (Virtual Floppy redirection)

TCP/5120 (Virtual CD-ROM redirection)

Stanleyj
Level 6

Thanks for the info.  I finally got the newtorking sorted out and i am able to log into the ISM console but when i try to start the KVM it complains about java 6.0.  I have java 7 installed and when i try to get 6.0 it keeps telling me I am up to date.

For some reason i was picturing that i could point putty to the IPMI port and it would connect just like a normal console.  Guess thats not the case here.

What is the defualt admin password?  My normal clish admin account doesnt seem to work.  i had to create a new login.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

IPMI and CLISH are two seperate authentication stacks. So you would need to make a new user ID and password. We changed the IPMI user which is sysadmin from the commandline when we set up the device initially "ipmitool user set user 3 <new passwd>" For some reason sysadmin is always the third user.

Stanleyj
Level 6

Thanks.  Any idea on that java thing?  I downloaded the 6.0 version.  Uninstalled all version of java on my machine and then installed only the 6.0.  It stil complaining about not having the right version of java.  Is this a 64bit issue?

Stanleyj
Level 6

got it figured out!!  Java 6.0 runtime update 19 is the only version that seems to work.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I am running update 21 and it is working well.