cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct connect between 5200 and 5220 -- possible??

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

So, we have a 5200 appliance and windows master in one domain, and a 5220 acting as its own master in another.

Using Storage Lifecycle Policies, we are replicating between the 5200 and 5220.  Seems to be working OK, but the data is travelling on our regular IP network.  And we'd like to move the 5220 to another building for added protection.

We were told you cannot directly connect the 5200 and 5220, say, through fibre or some such, so, how are other folks handling this?

Any hints or info would be appreciated!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do bear in mind that these are de-dupe units and communicate directly to each other - they will only send data that is not already in their own fingerprint database so it will not re-hydrate or anything - just send optimised de-dupe data across the link

I have one customer replicating their Hong Kong backups back to London and that is fine!

Bonding the 2 nics would be nice but see how it goes on just one - you can push a fair bit of de-dupe over a 1g network!

Glad to have helped

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

AIR will only travel via the network

If you want it to use a different network then configure a second network and IP address on the appliances for the replication traffic and then make sure they can only resolve each other via that network - they talk to each other directly when doing this so it is only the appliances that need such a network

There is also an option when you have this setup to go to the http://appliance/install page to select the backup and replication networks but it is not really needed it you do it all through hosts files

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

So, confused...   you're saying "build a separate private network"  for replication traffic, and control via hosts files?

Don't have another nic, they're all bonded for maximum throughput..  and it's me, i'm sure, but would have no idea how to "force" one kind of traffic over one IP vs the other. 

Pondering...  need one of these:  enlightened

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner

Mark is saying if you want to keep your backup traffic off the production network, then you need to have a different network for the traffic to traverse. This is typically done with separate network switches and different IP subnets than what you are using today so that the traffic is completely separated.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Yes - that is what i  was saying - to split traffic you need to remove at least one network interface from your bond and set it up as a independant interface for replication traffic

You cannot have 2 IP addresses on the same card so to split traffice that would be your only option

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Okay, sorry for the delay in responding..   had another NetBackup appliance crisis and excitement and EEB.  But that's a story for another day.

THANKS, now i got it, split traffic, dual network these guys.

Don't have a clue how to do that, prolly should, but don't.  That "http://appliance/install" isn't the regular 5200/5220 gui, right?  You mean when you plug in your laptop to the configuration port?

Had my networking guy in to help access the situation, and on both boxes he spied the two fibre ports next to the ethernet connections.  Wants to use them to run to the switch, and segment replication traffic that way.

When I looked at the gui, it had uses for those fibre ports, but in the appliance reconfiguration portion of the settings, which did have a tab for fibre transport, the choices were:

Enable the SAN Client FT media server [Fibre Transport for backups to this appliance]

can I use one of those options to configure a separate network connection to my switch?  If so, how do i tell it to send replication traffic over it?

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner

Hi Lynne,

No, those are Fibre Channel HBA cards, not network cards. You *can* order them with both 10Gb network cards and the FC HBA cards. One way to tell absolutely sure is to go into the CLISH (command line shell), change to the Network menu and run the show status command. You'll get an output like this:

appliancename.Network> Show status

BONDING [Enabled]
-------
bond0  : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP           10.blah.blah.blah
        Mode (802.3ad) Slaves ( eth6 eth7 )

DEVICE STATUS
-------------
eth0   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           192.168.1.1     
eth1   : 100Mb/s  TP    PLUGGED|UP           10.blah.blah.blah 
eth2   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           -- None --      
eth3   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           -- None --      
eth4   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           -- None --      
eth5   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           -- None --      
eth6   : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0           
eth7   : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0           

** TP: Twisted Pair FC=Fibre channel 1G/10G=1/10 Gigabit Ethernet

You can see above that eth6 and eth7 are 10Gb. If you don't see these, then you don't have them installed and can't use them for ethernet networks. You can order them if you want, but if you aren't going to use more than 1Gb of bandwidth, or don't have 10Gb switches, then there's no need.

-Rusty

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

AHA!  Thanks Rusty, now i have evidence:

from my 5200:

5200p.Network> Show status

BONDING [Enabled]
-------
bond0  : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP           166.66.xx.xx     -- None --                              
Mode (balance-alb) Slaves ( eth2 eth3 )

DEVICE STATUS
-------------
eth0   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           192.168.1.1      -- None --                              
eth1   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           -- None --       -- None --                              
eth2   : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              
eth3   : 10Gb/s   FC    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              

ROUTING STATUS
-------------
default         166.66.86.254   bond0   

from my 5220:

5220r.Network> Show status

BONDING [Enabled]
-------
bond0  : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP           166.66.xx.xxx    -- None --                              
Mode (balance-alb) Slaves ( eth1 eth2 eth3 eth4 eth5 )

DEVICE STATUS
-------------
eth0   : 1Gb/s    TP  UNPLUGGED|UP           192.168.1.1      -- None --                              
eth1   : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              
eth2   : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              
eth3   : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              
eth4   : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              
eth5   : 1Gb/s    TP    PLUGGED|UP|BONDED    bond0            -- None --                              

ROUTING STATUS
-------------
default         166.66.86.254   bond0   

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok , so you have eth0 and eth1 free on 5220p and eth0 free on 5220r that you could use

If you just want to use one port on each then just go into the CLISH and run the following from the network section:

Configure 10.10.10.22 255.255.255.0 10.10.10.1 eth1

Do this on each appliance specifying the IP address, subnet and gateway you have for it on the backup LAN.

Next just edit its hosts file (either using vi in the O/S or the hosts section in the CLISH) and add an entry for the other appliance on the backup network.

Do this on each appliance and from now on they resolve and talk over the backup network - no need to worry about a different name or anything they will just talk

If you need 2 ports bonded then you will need to unconfigure eth0 fir st and also remove one from the bond on 5220r so that you can then bond eth0 and eth1

Let me know if you need more help

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Mark, thank you,  even *I* understand that clear explanation.

It's not gonna be what my networking folks wanted to hear, cause they were dead set on fibre, but right now, that's what we got !!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Do bear in mind that these are de-dupe units and communicate directly to each other - they will only send data that is not already in their own fingerprint database so it will not re-hydrate or anything - just send optimised de-dupe data across the link

I have one customer replicating their Hong Kong backups back to London and that is fine!

Bonding the 2 nics would be nice but see how it goes on just one - you can push a fair bit of de-dupe over a 1g network!

Glad to have helped

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

OH that's good to know also..   Didn't have a firm grasp on how much data actually got passed..   We should be fine, I agree.  It's only across the street :)

Lynne_Seamans
Level 6

Got all the info I need, a GREAT help.  Thank you everyone !

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Glad you are sorted now - it is a shame that you cannot use firbre for AIR / Opttimised Duplication.

The odd thing is that you can use Fibre transport for AIR from a 5020 to a 5020 or 5220 to a 5020 but not a 5220 to a 5220 - maybe it will come in the future?