cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration from 5230 master/media to 5240 Master/Media Appliance

paulantok
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified
Hi We have scenario like master and media server running in single netbackup appliance 5230 version 2.7.2.Now customer wants to migrate the appliance 5230 to new 5240 version 2.7.3 (preinstalled which can be downgraded) appliance with existing data and catalogs which is least complex method we can work? your thoughts please
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU databases is the easy part - catalog backup and restore will be easiest (same hostname and Appliance version). If you can provide an NFS mount for basic disk STU to perform catalog backup, it will make the process even easier.

Dealing with dedupe and/or Advanced disk on the Appliance is the difficult part. 
What are the sizes and are you duplicating or replicating to alternate storage?

This is how I see your options without consulting engagement:
If all data on Appliance disk resides on alternate storage, then you could expire all disk backups and remove the storage from NBU (there are TNs on how to remove MSDP from NBU).
Only take catalog backup when all 5230 disk storage (MSDP and Advanced Disk) has been removed from NBU.

You can then start clean with MSDP on new Appliance after Catalog recovery.

Consulting will be expensive but clean and less disruptive.
Catalog manipulation services can migrate the master server to the new appliance and demote the current appliance to media server.

This way you can continue to use the 5230 (there are a good number of years left for support).
If you want to decommission the 5230, you can then at your leisure start to duplicate images to the 5240 until you get to a point where you can remove the 5230 from the environment.

My guess is that the original post was not answered because all of us understand the complexity of disk storage on Appliances and that it cannot be unplugged and moved to another server.
There is a saying: "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."
I remember looking at this post originally and hoped that someone else with more hands-on experience would reply....

Just out of curiosity:
Did the reseller that you are dealing with, not present you with a migration proposal?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

martinkaris
Level 2

Hi @paulantok,

Did you get a frictionless solution? I have a similar challange.

Thanks.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU databases is the easy part - catalog backup and restore will be easiest (same hostname and Appliance version). If you can provide an NFS mount for basic disk STU to perform catalog backup, it will make the process even easier.

Dealing with dedupe and/or Advanced disk on the Appliance is the difficult part. 
What are the sizes and are you duplicating or replicating to alternate storage?

This is how I see your options without consulting engagement:
If all data on Appliance disk resides on alternate storage, then you could expire all disk backups and remove the storage from NBU (there are TNs on how to remove MSDP from NBU).
Only take catalog backup when all 5230 disk storage (MSDP and Advanced Disk) has been removed from NBU.

You can then start clean with MSDP on new Appliance after Catalog recovery.

Consulting will be expensive but clean and less disruptive.
Catalog manipulation services can migrate the master server to the new appliance and demote the current appliance to media server.

This way you can continue to use the 5230 (there are a good number of years left for support).
If you want to decommission the 5230, you can then at your leisure start to duplicate images to the 5240 until you get to a point where you can remove the 5230 from the environment.

My guess is that the original post was not answered because all of us understand the complexity of disk storage on Appliances and that it cannot be unplugged and moved to another server.
There is a saying: "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread..."
I remember looking at this post originally and hoped that someone else with more hands-on experience would reply....

Just out of curiosity:
Did the reseller that you are dealing with, not present you with a migration proposal?

paulantok
Level 4
Thanks Marianne , I was thought the method you mentioned .since customer is bit hurry and storage space issue we added the new 5240 as new media server and duplicated all images to new appliance. so old 5230 still running as master server now we have to migrate this one to VERITAS virtual appliance . we are not expired the old images yet , you have any experience about how to achieve this and verities agreed to us that they will provide the Virtual appliance lic , after that we need to decommission the old 5230 Appliance we are partner for VERITAS unfortunately sales guy doesn't quote for Catman migration so got bit struck Thanks in advance

Hi @paulantok @Marianne,

Thanks for the response.

I was thinking in this lines:

Current Setup - NBU Appliance 5230 version 2.6 (40TB) 

New Setup - NBU Appliance 5240 version 3.0 (120 TB)

Proposal:

1. Upgrade the 5230 Appliance from version 2.6 to 3.0
  2. Replicate the updated NBU environment to the new 5240 Appliance (using NBU AIR one to one) 'failover' to the new NBU Appliance.
  3. Test the 5240 Appliance & NBU software
  4. Reimage the 5230 Appliance using version 3.0 image
  5. Take the  5230 Appliance to DR and re-use AIR
  6. In near future buy an additional shelf for the 5230 Appliance

Is my proposal feasible?

Thanks.

paulantok
Level 4
Hi Martin, Are you running separate master ? if that is the case you can add 5240 as additional media server and duplicate the data, one you duplicate the data completed from old media server to new one then you can expire images from old media server and decommission the old media server the factory reset and reimage

paulantok
Level 4

Hi Marianne,

Actually we got the Virtual applaince unforunately there is limitation in Virtual Applaince it will not allow to add media server so we are now struck again

so please see couple option i'm think about

1. Duplicate images from new applaince 5240(media) to back to old Applaince 5230(master/media)

2. Expire images in new applaince and decommission the media server and MSDP pools

3. Factory reset and reimage the new applaince 5240

4. Configure the new applaince 5240 as master/media server with new name and ipaddress

5. Configure new msdp

6. Point all the clients to new netbackup domain

7. Create all the polices manaully in new netbackup domain

8. Create AIR between old 5230 to 5240

9 Do manual replication of old images to 5240 

Please vaildate and if you have technical doc or script  for nbreplicate will be highly apprecated

if Any other feasble option availabe please let me know

Thanks