Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 7.1.0.2 - Split Master/Media server to new HW

MartinVi
Level 6

Hi all,

according to the disscussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/nbu-7102-split-mastermedia-server-new-hw#comment-form

I've got antother question or idea. Is it possible to mount the old image pools which contains the images via NFS on the current master/media server on the same mountpoints to the new one. So that there is no neeed to import the images on the new master server after the split.

Regards, Martin

13 REPLIES 13

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Martin

I think i know what you are saying but the point of importing them is to poopulate the catsalog with the information relating to what is in those backup images so that you can actually use them.

If NetBackup doesn't know about them you cannot restore from them

You can put them anywhere but NetBackup will need it to be a storage unit at that location in order to import them and they need to be imported for NetBackup to be able to restore from them

Have i got the right end of the stick?

MartinVi
Level 6

Hi Mark,

yes, you have got the right tick. It was just an idea to save the time for delete and import of the images again. The idea was just to add the current mountpoints for example /backup01 via nfs to the new master server with the same mountpoint. but i understand that this couldn't work. Thanks a lot for your help. I will let you know how the result of the split of the master/media server.

Thanks ...

Regards, Martin

MartinVi
Level 6

Hi Mark,

i have a question to your hint:

2a. Run a report or catalog verify against all of the images held on the disk so you know exactly what should be there

Is it enough when i run the command:

./bpdbm -consistency 2

and store the output in a file or what do you suggest?

Thanks ...

Regards, Martin

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can copy an image catalog across (as long as unix > unix, or win to win) as long as you only want to restore from the tapes.  To restore, NBU does not need the media db, all the info is in the backup header file. Therefore there is no need to import anything.

The catalog must be copied to the catalog dir for the install, by default, /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images.

Once copied over, you can browse the images as normal in the BAR GUI .

2a. Run a report or catalog verify against all of the images held on the disk so you know exactly what should be there

Is it enough when i run the command:

./bpdbm -consistency 2

No, this only checks for 'bad' files, or files in places they shouldn't be.  However, as per the first part of my answer, this is not necessary.

Martin (Senior UK Symantec TSE)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Martin

Sorry - hadn't noticed your question earlier.

In relation to 2a what i meant was go to the catalog section in the Admin Console with the default verify option, and run a search against the disk path and a wide date range so that you have a list of everything held on the disk.

This just gives you effectively a report of all  images, client, polcies, schedules etc. held on the disk as a reference for you when you come to do the import

Hope this clarifies things

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Sure Mark, that would work ...

However, no need to import - if you copy the image catalog across, what was there on old system, will be there on new.

M

MartinVi
Level 6

Hi Mark and Martin,

thanks for your help. What we currently have configured is:

Solaris x86 Master/Media Server with the following filesystems on a zfs pool:

/backup01
/backup02
/backup03
/backupext05
/backupext06
/backupext07 

This filesystems contain all the backup images. Now we have to split the configuration and move the master server to new hardware and rename the current master/media server. the new media server with the new name contain than these filesystems with the backup images.

@Martin: As i understand is, that i only need to copy the whole directory /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images to the new master server and that's all?

Regards, Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Martin

I think the difference between my advice and Martin is that my thinking was that you had backup images on disk (disk staging or advanced disk) that you wanted to move to your new installation.

I think Martin is talking about catlog images and this would apply to restoring from tape although how the EMM database gets populated correctly with all of the tapes in order to do the restores is a little more complicated.

So it really depends on whether my thinking or Martins thinking is correct.

If you have actual backup images on disk then follow my earlier advice, if you just want the catalog images moving then follow Martins - this is for tape restores only however.

Hope this helps

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes, I was referrring to tapes, and moving the image db.

Now I see this new details :

/backup01
/backup02
/backup03
/backupext05
/backupext06
/backupext07 

This filesystems contain all the backup images. 

Well, that isn't the image db, so Marks answer is correct I think ...  - apologies for the confusion, I understood the problem to be different ....

MartinVi
Level 6

Hi all,

thanks for your help. I have another question to the listing of all images on the disks. Is there a way to do this via command line? I try the following:

# bpstulist -go
STORAGE_GROUP_DISK_P02 2 DISK_POOL_P01 DISK_POOL_P02 DISK_POOL_P03
STORAGE_GROUP_Pmonthly 2 DISK_POOL_P07 DISK_POOL_P06 DISK_POOL_P05
STORAGE_GROUP_DISK_B01 2 DISK_POOL_B01 DISK_POOL_B02 DISK_POOL_B03 DISK_POOL_B05 DISK_POOL_B06 DISK_POOL_B07

and then:

# bpimmedia -disk_stu STORAGE_GROUP_DISK_B01
no entity was found 

But it doesn't work. Anything wrong with my syntax?

Regards, Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Your command is for basic disk i think yours is advanced so change it to:

bpimmedia -dp STORAGE_GROUP_DISK_B01 -stype AdvancedDisk -l

It does show every fragment this way though - much easier to do it in the Catalog Section of the Admin Console against each disk path and then copy it out

MartinVi
Level 6

okay, i found my misstake, sorry! On Monday morning we start our master/server split. i will let you know the result and time which we need for it.

regards, martin

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

Split operation is part of NetBackup Catalog Manipulation activity and should be done by a consultant with Authorized Symantec Consultant papers and NetBackup Catalog Manipulation training. There are procedures for renaming servers and moving databases between serwers.