cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP AIR seems slow?

elanmbx
Level 6

Has anyone noticed NDMP AIR replications going slower than other replications?

I ask because I don't seem to have any issues with any other policy-types, but my NDMP replications always seem to stack up.

For example - I have a replication job that is currently very small (Kilobytes:         62493) and it has been running for almost 3 hours.  I have lots of other replications which have started and completed during the time that this has been running.  It would be faster to simply copy ALL the data over in this image to the remote appliance.

I don't notice this behavior for "Standard", "MS-WIndows", "Oracle", or even "VMware" policy types.

Anyone run into anything like this?

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You did not tell us which NBU/Appliance version. Are you using the new Accelerator feature for NDMP backups in 7.7.1/2.7.1?

elanmbx
Level 6

Ahhh... yeah.  Sorry.  Usually I make sure I add that stuff. :)

Appliance is 5220 running 2.6.1.2.  No Accelerator for NDMP.

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you monitored the actual deduplication rates you're getting on the ndmp backups? Maybe they're not deduplicating well? Granted 3 hours is a bit much.

elanmbx
Level 6

I've got a dedicated gigabit connection over to our colo.  And I'm the only one using it.  Even if dedupe was 0% I should be able to push 62MB in about a second. :)

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Maybe you can experiment with "DAR" for NDMP?  Try turning it off, for a short test, when (if) your backup systems are quiet, maybe?

Vikash_Gupta
Level 2

Check this out.

this is valid for 7.7.1 as well.

NetBackup version 7.6.1.2 and Appliance version 2.6.1.2 optimized duplications and/or automatic image replication jobs (and possibly backups) performance will slow down significantly when CRCCheck is active.