cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup failures to write to Windows Event Log

Marquez
Level 3

Ok so the gist of it is we have a NetBackup Appliance that is Linux and most if not all servers being backed up are Windows. We want to be able to use the Application log in Windows Event Viewer to determine if a backup has failed with our monitoring software. Problem is any information I have found to enable Windows Event logging, only applies to a Windows OS Media/Master server for NetBackup.

Is there a way to have a Linux Media/Master server and still have backup failures write to a Windows Event log?

It can either be a main Windows servers or to each Windows server running netbackup.

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

The short answer is probably no, as it wouldn't be supported.

However, you could (un-supported by Symantec) forward syslog entries from your appliance to a syslog server/daemon on a Windows host, and have that syslog server/daemon then write received entries to the Windows event log.

Appliances use syslog-ng as their syslog engine.

More info here:

https://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/18044.html

...and this link has details on syslog-ng agent for Windows:

http://www.balabit.com/sites/default/files/documents/syslog-ng-pe-5.0-guides/en/syslog-ng-windows-agent-v5.0-guide-admin/html-single/index.html

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You may also want to consider OpsCenter for notification and alerts.
SNMP and SMTP can be configured.

Marquez
Level 3

Thanks sdo, i took a look at the sites your referenced and it appears the syslog-ng is to forward events from Windows platform to the netbackup appliance and not the other way around.

Marquez
Level 3

I appreciate the suggestion, but we already have a monitoring solution in place for everything else and I am looking into possibly bringing netbackup into the fold.

TomerG
Level 6
Partner Employee Accredited Certified