Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Appliance N5220 Version downgrade from 7.1 to 7.0

oughck
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

My customer just got a N5220 with NBU 7.1 installed to replace his existing NBU 7.0 backup environment. Now i'll need to migrate the catalogs, media servers ad clients over.

What is the best way to go about doing it?

1. Is it possible to downgrade (or uninstall and install) NBU 7.0 in the appliance, do a catalog recovery and then upgrade again to NBU 7.1?

2. Or I upgrade the existing backup environment from NBU 7.0 to 7.1 first and then do catalog recovery?

I know method 2 involves less steps and more feasible but I prefer to go with method 1 as it does not involve touching anything on the existing production environment but I was wondering if it is possible to downgrade and then upgrade NBU in an appliance.

Thanks in advance...

ck

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You would have to upgrade the existing environment first as downgrading the appliance wouldnt be a good move, if it shipped with 7.1 then Symantec wouldnt appreciate supporting a downgrade if you had any issues

I guess you would have to give the appliance the same name etc. as well in order to do a catlaog recovery to it as i dont believe the catalog manipulations are supported on an appliance - but not sure what you would do with its own built in disk pools etc. unless you managed to add these in after the recovery.

I have the feeling that these units are aimed at new installations rather than for migration, although they make great Media Servers (done a few installations now)

Perhaps advice from Support as even if you could do it you may need professional services for the catalog and last i heard it wasnt supported on an appliance

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You would have to upgrade the existing environment first as downgrading the appliance wouldnt be a good move, if it shipped with 7.1 then Symantec wouldnt appreciate supporting a downgrade if you had any issues

I guess you would have to give the appliance the same name etc. as well in order to do a catlaog recovery to it as i dont believe the catalog manipulations are supported on an appliance - but not sure what you would do with its own built in disk pools etc. unless you managed to add these in after the recovery.

I have the feeling that these units are aimed at new installations rather than for migration, although they make great Media Servers (done a few installations now)

Perhaps advice from Support as even if you could do it you may need professional services for the catalog and last i heard it wasnt supported on an appliance

Hope this helps