cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trust two netbackup master servers

mrkannain
Level 2
We have two netbackup Appliance 5230 - 5.2.3 (7.5.0.6).

Both master server are in same domain (nbu01.tech.com and nbu02dr.tech.com) but diiferent location with leased line.

Could you assist how to trust two master for replicate Catalog & Backup.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When i have done this I try and use Hosts files on the appliances to ensure good communication over the correct network.

During AIR they communicate directly with each other (Media Server to Media Server) so that is all the comms you need to be sure of.

Next you go to the CLISH of each appliance and do the following:

Appliance

ShowDedupPassword

Make a note of it (do this on each appliance)

Next in the NBU Admin Console go to Credentials - Storage Servers and open up the properties of your appliance. On the Replication tab put the name of the other appliance in, username root and password as per what that appliances de-dupe password was.

Same for the other site if you need to AIR both ways.

Once that is done it is just down to creating the SLP (Same name, one using replicatation and one using Import)

Hope this helps - as long as the communications are good it works a treat!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

D_Flood
Level 6

Hello,

If I understand you correctly, you have a 5220 (Master) located at one site and a 5220 (Master) located at the other site.  And you'd like to know how to send backups and their catalog entries back/forth.

NetBackup uses the term "Domain" a little differently than DNS or Active Directory.  But it is nice to have both systems on the same DNS Domain also.  In NetBackup terms a Domain is everything controled by one Master regardless of where it is.

Setting up replication between two NetBackup Domains (be they Windows, Unix, or Appliances) is explained in Volume One of the NetBackup Administration Guides.  Even though you are using Appliances, there is a lot of cross-over since they are basically running NetBackup on top of some added software and hardware.

Here's a link to the master list of documenation:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138&key=15143

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Just follow the guideine for configuring AIR for backup replication between the two Masters

Catalog replication is not reccommeded however using AIR so you may need to look at an alternative method to do that.

If you need clients on both sites to back up to both master servers then just make sure both are listed as valid servers in the clients host properties

Hope this helps

symantec040
Level 4

Yep, all you would require is AIR.

And you should get communications sorted between the two master servers, if these are acting as media servers which host dedupe pool and are participarting in AIR!

Else, sort the communications between two media servers which host dedupe pool and are participarting in AIR!

Now, when I say communications is just bptestbpcd -client <hostname> and Dedupe ports, 10082/10085/10102.

AIR only helps in replication to remote master - which also includes transferring the metadata of the backup image file to the remote master.

After the replication is completed, Remote master will make use of the metadata arrived at the destination and starts an automatic Import job which will incoroporate the image availability information in the Catalog Database of the remote master!

Thanks.!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When i have done this I try and use Hosts files on the appliances to ensure good communication over the correct network.

During AIR they communicate directly with each other (Media Server to Media Server) so that is all the comms you need to be sure of.

Next you go to the CLISH of each appliance and do the following:

Appliance

ShowDedupPassword

Make a note of it (do this on each appliance)

Next in the NBU Admin Console go to Credentials - Storage Servers and open up the properties of your appliance. On the Replication tab put the name of the other appliance in, username root and password as per what that appliances de-dupe password was.

Same for the other site if you need to AIR both ways.

Once that is done it is just down to creating the SLP (Same name, one using replicatation and one using Import)

Hope this helps - as long as the communications are good it works a treat!