Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup 5200 change role from media to master server

emmegi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

goodmoring,

i have a physical windows server which has the master server role, a netbackup 5200 appliance with media server, i would like to decomission the windows server and just use the 5200 as master, how it is possible?

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, you are right. Only Symantec partners (most likely on master level) with consultants attended the special training for catalog manipulation can do the catalog transfer in way that Symantec will accept as supportable (during the migration and after).

So I guess you should find such a Symantec partner in your region.

http://partnerlocator.symantec.com/public/search/?inid=us_ps_flyout_buy_findpart

If you are located in Europe we may be able to assist.

/A

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Quick question; is it a requirement to retain old backups, or will you start from scratch?

If from scratch, it is easy; just "factory reset" the 5200 and install it as a master role.

If you need to transfer the catalog, then you should probably need to find a Symantec master partner that have consultants certified for the catalog migration procedure.

/A

emmegi
Level 3
Partner Accredited

sorry, but i must retain all the backups.

the problem i can understand reading the forum and the documentation is that migration of catalog db to different hostname ON different os platform (windows to linux appliance) is not officilally supported but with help from specialized symantec partners.

am i right? thank you for the quick reply.

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Yes, you are right. Only Symantec partners (most likely on master level) with consultants attended the special training for catalog manipulation can do the catalog transfer in way that Symantec will accept as supportable (during the migration and after).

So I guess you should find such a Symantec partner in your region.

http://partnerlocator.symantec.com/public/search/?inid=us_ps_flyout_buy_findpart

If you are located in Europe we may be able to assist.

/A

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I have the feeling that the catalog manipulation training for Appliances is not actually yet complete - and so there are yet to be any appliance qualified engineers This should be quite soon and it will come but you may have to wait a little while before it can be done for you. Maybe AAlmroth has already managed to get such training - I will have to double check with Symantec as we are able to do standard Catalog Manipulations but are awaiting the Appliance manipulation training at the moment Will try and get confirmation unless AAlmroth can clarify? Hope this helps