cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vmware creating "...std_filelist" files in /tmp and these files are accumulating, never being deleted

DuckTape
Level 4

i look on the master appliance in the /tmp directory and have files dated back to last year and these files have zero bytes.  The names for these files for ex:  are:

vmware_cisco+27134+1.std_filelist

vmware_cisco+29140+1.std_filelist

vmware_cisco+4967+1.std_filelist

I am thinking these are from a  vmware policy that queries for the VM's on a cluster and then will backup the VM's.

I applied a patch  for cleaning up /tmp ,,"SYMC_NBAPP_EEB_ET2967999-2.5.1.0-3.x86_64.rpm",,  thinking this would solve the problem, it did not require a reboot.

I have 5220 appliance on 2.5.1 and netbackup version 7.5.0.4. 

i dont know why these are accumulating or if these are needed or what is needed to keep the clutter out of /tmp.

thanks in advance

11 REPLIES 11

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I have also seen that .vmdk files can accumulate in /tmp if you have failed VMWare backups

I have raised this with support as i also had the EEB for this issue (possibly created following the call being logged for my customer) and i also feel that this EEB does not actually work

I have asked a couple of time but have been met by silence - I will chase it again

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Hi Mark,

Did you get anything back from support as I am alos seeing this behaviour on bith my Linux master and media server.

Kev

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference

DuckTape
Level 4

My support has sent me a EEB   ET2982308-2.5.1.0-1 they received from Symantec. It was not made public yet because i could not find anything on this to read. I have applied and will see over next few days what it does and post results.

but they commented it should take care of the VMDK files left over because they are also a problem, i dont know about the other files.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

That is the same EEB we were supplied with - I will see if it has done anything since it was applied

DuckTape
Level 4

3 - 4 days later the .VMDK are being removed. But  in /tmp  the ".std_filelist"   and in /usr/openv/temp  the  ".txt"  files are still lingering around.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Do these look vmware related or could they be telemetry related?

ET2986967 is needed to keep the telemetry files in check

DuckTape
Level 4

VMWARE , i think the  "std_filelist" is for each vmserver in my policy (which queries the vcenter) retreives. these are also zero bytes.  i dont really know about the ".txt"  is seerms random for servers that are not VM.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

AH! - the VMWare query results - haven't seen a fix for that on any system - Windows Servers get a huge amount in their temp directory too.

if the .txt relate to server names i am unsure what they are - are they readable or just empty?

DuckTape
Level 4

for the most part ,un readable. at the very top they seem to point to one of my policies that just backup 2008 OS.  these are oracle servers but it dont happen to all of them and sometimes not everyday. i am still trying to figure out what/where they come from.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sound like NetBackups own temporary files as it works through policies and settings - how far back do they go?

If only a few days i wouldn't worry about them, it is just NBU's own cache / temp location

Kev_Lamb
Level 6

Is this EEB going to be made public anytime soon?

Attitude is a small thing that makes a BIG difference