cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing the fragment size on a PureDisk storage group

nick_galtry
Level 4

Helle everyone,

I have a question regarding the fragment sizes for puredisk storage groups. I have an issue backing up to puredisk and I think it is down to the fragment size that is set on the storage group, my question is what effects will changing that have on the backup images already on the puredisk?

Nick

5 REPLIES 5

Lee_C
Level 5

I think it's normally avoided.  The unique patterns in Puredisk are based on the fragment size, so if you change the fragment size, the patterns no longer match which essentially means your deduplication rate takes a hit.

ElGringo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hello,

Could you clarify your issue ?

Regards

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Well, the recommended fragment size for storage units pointing to PureDisk disk pools is 51200. However, there are several references where a lower value is recommended (25600) when the backups fail.

/A

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I think you are referencing the segment size rather than the fragment size. For segment size, the default should be fine in the majority of implementations, and you are right, changing the value in a production environment where many backups are already stored, it may indeed have an impact on the storage use.

/A

Lee_C
Level 5

Thanks for the correction.