cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and Puredisk and BMR

totem
Level 2

I am evlauating Puredisk with my netbackup environment. I want to eliminate tape entirely.

Do you folks know if a remote netbackup client backing up to a media server with a Puredisk storage pool will do dedup at the client end or at the media server end.  The clients are across a WAN and this only works for us if we can reduce the data sent from the client. We are testing Puredisk right now without the netbackup portion and we seem to be getting great reduction after the initial backup. 

I now am trying to figure out if I can get BMR functionality if I include the Netbackup client on the remote end.

Ultimately having BMR functionality combined with puredisk dedup backups for remotes and OFFSITE tape once a week via Netbackup.

Any information or direction is appreciated.

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jazzy_Sam
Level 3
 From what I understand. PD does not have a BMR function. It does allow system state restore to the same hardware, however this function is not extremely reliably. Sometimes it will work.. Sometimes it will fail.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Jazzy_Sam
Level 3
 From what I understand. PD does not have a BMR function. It does allow system state restore to the same hardware, however this function is not extremely reliably. Sometimes it will work.. Sometimes it will fail.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
From my understanding, The PureDisk Deduplication Storage Unit runs the dedupe at the target level, where as the other PureDisk options do it at the source, I'd love to get some clarification on that point myself.

Mayur_Dewaikar
Level 3
Employee

Michael,

The NBU client itself does not have dedupe capabilities at the moment and so if you are using a NBU client for writing backup data into a PD pool, the deduplication is done at the NBU media server.

Keep in mind that PureDisk is only acting as a disk pool (storage target) for NBU and so if you are using NBU as your core backup application, you will have all NBU features available to you ( including BMR). PureDisk does not have BMR capabilities of its own.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner

We are talking about PDDO option, right?

That is, NBU client is not PureDisk-aware, only the NBU media server is configured with PDDO stu.

The PureDisk agent you install on the NBU media server runs de-dup algorithm, with the stream of backup data coming from the client.

So it sounds like your environment with over-the-WAN-client does not really want this PDDO implementation, unless you have only few groups of clients over the WAN and each groups have their own media servers with PDDO installed.

Abe

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
You could use PureDisk Remote Office to manage your daily backup requirements, and use NBU to perform a weekly backup to a PDDO STU to maintain your BMR requirements on a weekly / monthly basis