cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDOS won't see Logical Volume

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
Got a strange one here- putting in an all-in-one PD 6.2.1 system, and the OS won't totally recognize logical volume 2.  Logical Volume 1 is on the same controller, and that's where the /boot, swap, /, and etc.  live.  It works fine- the server boots up with no problem.

The server is an HP dl320s with a smartarray p800 controller- the HP Array Configuration Utility sees both volumes, and tells me that Logical Volume 2 is /dev/cciss/c0d1

But Fdisk tells me : Unable to read /dev/cciss/c0d1

parted says: Error: Unable to open /dev/cciss/c0d1 - unrecognised disk label.

When I try to mklabel gpt, I get:
Error: Can't have the end before the start!
Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!
Error: No space left on device during write on /dev/cciss/c0d1
Retry/Ignore/Cancel?

BTW- Logical Volume 2 is 2.7TB

Anyone have any experience with this?  Any thoughts?

Message Edited by Tom Burrell on 01-28-2008 11:00 AM
2 REPLIES 2

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
Well, I solved part of the mystery- when I create a volume smaller than 2TB it seems to work fine. 

My next step is to try expanding past 2TB. Crossing fingers there.

Now- next question- How do I create a 2TB+ volume from the get-go?  I'd really hate to think that I always have to start at <2TB and expand every time.  That just seems silly.

Tom_Burrell
Level 5
Got the Final Answer:  Due to a limitation in SUSE, you cannot create a logical volume of more than 2TB... it just won't work.  This is to be fixed in PD 6.5

To take full advantage of the 4TB capacity in PDROE, you have to create volumes smaller than 2TB and glue them together with LVM.

Too bad the install docs don't tell you to use LVM when you are setting this thing up!