Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

duplication job taking too long

Yajith
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hello All,

I need your help in troubleshooting the below issue. NetNBackup 7.1 is the version that is being used, and the Master Server is running on windows platform.

Exchange server backup is performed with the following settings. Policy storage is a Puredisk storage.

Exchange server backup is performed daily via LAN which takes about 6.5 Hrs on average. Amount of data processed is around +600 GBs. On weekly basis, the deduped data is duplicated on to a tape via a storage life cycle policy.

PureDisk storage and the Tape drive is directly connected to the Master/Media service in the environment.The primary issue is the excessive time taken for the tape duplication task, which takes +17 Hrs currently.

Appreciate some pointers in resolving this issue, since i'm not quite familiar with the PureDisk and Exchange environments.

1 REPLY 1

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Prior to NBU 7.1.0.3 the rehydration performance was not very good. In combination with slow read from the PureDisk disk pool and the tape technology used where the tape drive cannot stream at the low speed you get extremely bad performance.

You are better off using older tape drives such as as LTO3 to better match the read performance.

However, in 7.1.0.3 the approach used in PureDisk to group the de-duped blocks that "belong" together increases the read performance somewhat. I have seen duplication to tape go from 10MB/s to approx 70MB/s (and the LTO4 drives can stream).

/A