Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Master Server in the same backup netwrok

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

Let me explain you all the scenario before i ask the questions:

I have a huge backup network with 5 switches (24 port) interconnected, i have 2 Master servers which is connected  with 2 LTO 4 (SAS Interface), which are connected on the same switch(es).

The backups taken on say Master Server 1 (MS1) is much much faster than Master Server 2 (MS2), that means the amount of backup volume on MS1 is much much more than MS2.

Eg. MS1 does a FULL backup in 20 hours amounting to 4 TB's comparing to only 1.5 TB's in more 36 hours in MS2.

When the backup starts in MS1 is faster if i look into the KB/second compared to MS2. Any clients whose backups are slow on MS2 if i shift them to MS1 it is faster.

I hope you all reader got the scenario.

Questions are:

1. Having 2 Master Servers on the same backup network effect the performance of the backups on both the Mater Server or any one of them.
2. In my scenario does MS 1 takes preference over MS 2 since both are Master Servers and hence the backups are more faster on MS 1, coz any clients which are slow on MS 2 ince shifted to MS 1
     is much faster than what is was in MS 2.
3. Do i have to uninstall the MS 2 and install it as one MEDIA SERVER?
4. Or do i have to separate the whole network and keep the 2 Master server on different networks and check whether the speed has increased?
5. Dis Veritas give any best practise not to install 2 Master Servers on the same network?

I hope some one has come across this scenario, and looking forward for some feed back/ suggestions.

Thank you

Abby

6 REPLIES 6

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
Check if the NetBackup Settings (Network buffer size, data buffer size, ...) are the same on both servers. If they are, compare the Network settings and errors on the network ports.

Run a netio check from one client to both servers to check if the performance is equal - this would mean, that the network isn't a problem and something in NetBackup is messed up.

I guess its either a wrong data buffer size on ms2 or a misconfigured/erroneus network link.

Shashank
Level 4
Check the network configuration & monitor the port which has MS1 & MS2  server connected.Also check network drivers & firmare on both Master servers.Do the Netbackup setting i.e increase client read time out & client connect time out to 3600 & 1200.

scorpy_582
Level 6
Hi Abby,

For performance issues, its very difficult to know where the problem could be. There are a lot of factors involved and only way that I see is by the rule of elimination.

A few basic things to try:

Create policies on both the master servers to backup themselves with same about of data.

Check the throughput.

If the one of them is faster, compare both of them. Things to check:

Netbackup Data Buffers
OS Disk IO performance
System performance.
Communication between the master server and the library.

If the throughput is same, try to take backup of identical clients:
Check these:
NIC speed
OS leve TCP settings
Netbackup Network buffer, Data Buffer

To answer your question, You can have two master servers on same physical network as long as they are logically isolated environments. There are no prefereces of one master server over other. Nor there is any recommendation for your scenario as far as I know.

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi Frerk,

One more thing about my NIC is, since i have many server and all of them on different subnets i have over 50 + virtual IP's on a single netwrok card. But this is on both the MS1 and MS2. so the nework problem is rled out coz if it was both the MS's would be slow. as i have wirrten once i shift some clients from MS 2 to MS 1 it is faster.

In both the MS i havent done any changes and all the settings are deafult. Can you also tell me how to use NETIO from the client side?

Thanks
Abby

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

The network could be giveing priority to MS1 and not MS2.

Talk with your network people and see if there are any issues.
See if MS2 is logging errors on the network, could be bad cable or connection.

MOIMOI
Level 4
Hi All,

thanks for posting !!!!!!!!

I guess i am with HINCHCLIFFE, coz i also feel the MS 1 is taking preference over MS2 since it was installed before it has 1st preference.

my another point mentioned before explains that...... any client which was slow in MS 2 work faster in MS1 once i shfit it. here i can only think of one thing that is the preference of MS1. But did any one hear or had similar problem that i m facing. I m trying to do 2 things here first one is separate the network for both MS 1 and MS 2 or possible re install the MS 2 as a media server.

Coz few replies says the network buffer size etc etc....i didnt find these files on the installed directory on both the MS's...meaning it is set to default and Netbackup says this in Document ID: 244652:

Modification:
For most configurations, the default NetBackup buffer settings are correct and there is no need to adjust them for the purpose of performance. Furthermore, there are factors outside of NetBackup which effect performance and should be reviewed. Some of these external factors include Host Bus Adapter (HBA) cards, SCSI cards, network interface card (NIC) settings, client disk I/O speed, network latency, and tape drive I/O. All of these should be reviewed to determine their respective impact on backup and restore speeds prior to any attempts to tune NetBackup.

Now i am also looking at other factors too which is mentioned on the above paragraph. But also since both the LTO 4 are SAS interface i can rule out that, latency is 1 MS for all my ping replies, tape drive I/O same since both are SAS with similar configuration.

Hope to hear some more suggesstion or remarks.

Thanks again to all

ABBY