cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5.1 MP3 patch for Linux Clients

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Hello all,
I'm a bit confused. I'm trying to upgrade my Linux clients' netbackup version to mp3.
From what I understand there are a couple of dependencies before you can upgrade.
1. Dependancy is the base client install.
2. Required patch
3. MP3

I'm trying to find out the patch that will work, in step 2.
This note: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277821.htm' seems correct, but is there any of you that confirm if this is accurate or not and, additionally, tell me what the proper patch installation is. Currently my master server is on MP3, so that is why I'm bringing up my clients to that level.
5 REPLIES 5

DavidParker
Level 6
Alex,
The tech note you're reading is the patch for Master and Media servers.
You need the patch called: NB_CLT_51_3_M to patch the clients.
Link: http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277826.htm

Additionally, if you already have MP3 installed on your master server, you can 'push' the patch out to your clients using the 'install_client' script in: /usr/openv/netbackup/clients//

We use a modified version of that script at my company that uses ssh; I can post that if you need.

DP

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Hey there,
Thanks for the reply, David. The link you posted seems to be for the 'base' client install. Does that inlcude the patch? Because, again, my understanding is that the following needs to happen:
1. install base client software for 5.1
2. install client patch for mp3
3. install mp3 on the client.
Sorry for the confusion, but I'm just a little lost on this one...

DavidParker
Level 6
The CLT patch is the 'base' client install in terms of the master. The master needs the client libraries at this 'base' before it can be updated.

So, technically, no, this isn't the 'base' (as in 5.1 w/o any MP) install.
This patch is 5.1 MP3 for clients.

The patch you linked was 5.1 MP3 for Master/Medias (and it requires that the client software on the master/media is updated first, thus the confusion).

If you're only patching the clients, you should only need the CLT patch. Although, you should have your master server patched to MP3 before doing your clients.

Unix is a little wacky to patch, compared to Windows ...

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Thanks for the reply, Dave. I do appreciate it. What I've determined is that there is a base client install. Such as the one you linked to. But my understanding there are two other patches to apply.

NB_51_3A_M
NB_51_3AS2_M

It's the NB_51_3A_M patch that I can't seem to find for Linux... Correct me if I'm wrong.

DavidParker
Level 6
No problem, Alex.
Yes, now that you mention it, there are a couple of patches that happened between MP3 and MP4. The NB_51_3AS2_M is an individual security patch that came out between MP3 & MP4. It's not technically mandatory to be on MP3, but it's certainly a good idea.

One more note:
It looks like you're looking at Master/media server patches there. The client patch installs will all be titled: NB_CLT_51_XXX

Go to this search page: http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/support/knowledge_base.jsp?pid=15143
Make sure 'downloads' is the only thing checked and select 5.1 as your version
Then just enter "NB_CLT_51" or "NB" as your search criteria.

Unfortunately, the changes they've made to the search pages are really cr4ppy (compared to how easy it used to be) and it's tough to find exactly what you're looking for these days. =(