cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving from Solaris to Linux Red Hat

Teresa_Nugent
Level 3
Hello Everyone,

I very much appreciate any suggestions in what steps to follow in the process to transfer the Data Base from Solaris Environmnet to Linux Red Hat. I will have to install also Oracle 10g with RAC on Red Hat on Enterprise Linux Advance Server 3

Tks Teresa

Message was edited by:
Teresa NugentMessage was edited by:
Teresa Nugent
10 REPLIES 10

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Don't do it. Say it isn't sooooo. Go with OpenSolaris that is my advice. It works for Ebay.

:)

Teresa_Nugent
Level 3
Dennis,

What are the benefits of OpenSolaris, and what are the disadvantages of LINUX Red Hat Advance Server 3. I am not the decision maker to purchase the equipment. I may have to provide more information to the group of people making the decision.

Thanks,

Teresa

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I think OpenSolaris has all the advantages of Linux; ie.. it is Inexpesive, plus the added advantage that it is a bit more stable and there is greater tunabilty. If you choose you can get support from Sun. Sun's Platinum support is very good. expensive but I think better than RedHat.

The below article is a fun read. Linux is good and Solaris is not perfect but I think Solaris has the advantage of being a very stable OS. The reason Google is considering Sun is Google has a practice of optimizing everything and Solaris can be tweaked to your hearts content if you are really into. If you run Solaris you will have to do the recommended kernel tweaks but beyond that if you want just run it out of the box. After that do not plan on having to reboot the server very often.

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9003492

zippy
Level 6
Teresa,

Are you trying to move an Oracle database or a Netbackup database?

Where can I get a copy or open solaris?

JD

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp
you can also get builds from
http://opensolaris.org

Regular old Solaris has been for sale for quite some time for the cost of the media. About $50. This includes the entire media kit. It is support that costs but for an enterprise installation it is worth it. I usually buy my own copy for use at home even though I can borrow a copy from work.

Teresa_Nugent
Level 3
Dennis,

Great information, but what steps would you follow if you have no choice but to install Oracle 10g RAC in LINUX and to transfer the Data Base and all the files in the Tablespace from Solaris to Linux.

Thanks, Teresa

zippy
Level 6
Teresa,

Not to be mean but this is a Netbackup Forum. Your question is more suited for an Oracle Forum.

To move a database from system to system that has RAC config requires a considerable amount of thought and knowlege both on the DBA side and the Admintrators side.

As far as restoring a database to another server is very simple, you restore it to a file system of equal or greater size and and then as the DBA to relink the database to the system. The host name and the IP have changed so havent the libraries of the host system, the DBA should provide you with the changes he or she requires an he or she should know how to link the database to the new system.

JD

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
My first step would be to fire the Management. I do not have Oracle experience so I cannot comment on that.

Downgrading from Solaris to Linux with Netbackup should not be to bad. If you can have both boxes up at the same time you can share /opt/openv on the Linux box and then Mount it on the Solaris box. From the Solaris box run
rsync -avb /opt/openv/netbackup/db linuxshare/opt/openv/openv/db
rsync -avb /opt/openv/volmgr/database linuxshare/opt/openv/database
I think install netbackup on the Linux box then run the above commands. You will probably want to do the same with /usr/openv/netbackup/db/classes in order to copy your classes.

That will get all your data across. I would keep the same name on the Master/Media server. You should be able to do this after installing Netbackup on the Linux box. If your Netbackup servers are running 6.0 I do not know if this will work.

Teresa_Nugent
Level 3
James, and Dennis,

I really appreciate your advice.

Thanks, Teresa

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Was sitting here tonight and the mind was wandering. All the sudden whalla. Here is a Burning reason to go OpenSolaris over Red Hat.

ZFS. If you upgrade your Master server to Sol10 which SolarisExpress is. You will have ZFS. With ZFS you will not have to worry about /opt/openv being corrupted. After thinking about this I am convinced, for me anyway Sol10 is the way to go for my Master server.

ZFS goes beyond journaling and does copy on write, plus it is self repairing.