cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6.5 (2) for Mac OS 10.5.3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have been asked if I can backup a MAC  (never had one of these before).

Can anybody tell me which client file I use to install the client on this server and just how I do this?

I am a unix person.... know enough about windows to support the backup of them up with Netbackup.

I am currently on Netbackup 6.5  (working on the upgrade to 6.5.2)
3 REPLIES 3

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I was reading the following doc

and it makes it sound like I can install the client on my master - even if my master is NOT MAC...

I have an AIX master....
and I want to be able to push the MAC install....

so can you really install a client on a master if that master is not the same OS?

right now I am trying to see if what I am reading and understanding is the same as what some of you think...

I don't recall seeing to many postings about MAC's.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The related documentation ( http://support.veritas.com/docs/290199 ) on the link you supplied answers your question:

J.Hinchcliffe wrote:

so can you really install a client on a master if that master is not the same OS?

In that:

".....
By definition, your NetBackup server is also a NetBackup client. When you install the NetBackup server software, you install both the NetBackup server and the NetBackup client software on the server.
You can install UNIX clients either locally at the client computer or remotely from your UNIX NetBackup server. To have the ability to include a client in a policy, the client type software must first be installed on the UNIX master server.

Note: Macintosh OS X10.3.x and OS X10.4.x clients are UNIX-based clients. Follow the same UNIX client installation procedures in this section.
Before you can push to a UNIX client, you must first install the NetBackup client type software on the master server and create a policy that includes the client name. The UNIX client must be a true client and not a media or a master server.
....."

We did the same thing for our various Linux based clients. Our Master is Solaris/SPARC, but the Linux client software is 'installed' also which allows us to push out updates with the 'update_clients' command.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Andy, thanks for the reply

so if I already have the client1 file for 6.5.2 on my master server (unix/aix)
when I go to push out to the unix clients I should also be able to push to the MAC server ( which would be a new install ,,, and I understand I have to have the rsh avail on the MAC to do this)

thanks.... I will try to remember to update this when I actualy do the MAC install.... but need to get my production master to 6.5.2 first  ( right now I am just doing my testing site).