cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(96) unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available

branchfj
Level 3

I built a new NetBackup 7.5 server on Solaris 10 platform, cofigured the storage device (SUN StoreEdge), created polices, and added clients without a problem.

However when I tried to run a backup, it failed with the error msg (96) unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available. I have seen this before a long time ago and forget the fix.

Basically my EMM database cannot see the tape media because it still belongs to my old NetBackup server, and I forgot how to change it.

# bpmedialist -p Scratch_Pool (gives to output even all the tapes are in the Scratch_Pool)

# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media

media media robot robot robot side/ ret size status/ 

ID type type # slot face level KBytes multiplexed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CatalogBackup pool

Daily pool

DataStore pool

NetBackup pool

None pool

Scratch_Pool pool

0051L2 HCART3 TLD 0 2 - - - AVAILABLE

0053L2 HCART3 TLD 0 3 - - - AVAILABLE

0054L2 HCART3 TLD 0 4 - - - AVAILABLE

0056L2 HCART3 TLD 0 5 - - - AVAILABLE

0057L2 HCART3 TLD 0 6 - - - AVAILABLE

0058L2 HCART3 TLD 0 7 - - - AVAILABLE

0059L2 HCART3 TLD 0 8 - - - AVAILABLE

0060L2 HCART3 TLD 0 1 - - - AVAILABLE

Weekly pool

I know they are not in my EMM because I can delete the tapes in the Admin Console with no problem.

Can someone please give me the UNIX command(s) to put my tapes into my Media Server EMM database?

8 REPLIES 8

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -oldserver <old_server> -newserver <new_server>

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Oh wait is this a new Media Server or a new NBU domain? Your post kinda of confused me.

If these tapes are from a different domain and have images on them that are truly not in your EMM DB this guide should give you a good idea:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH94228

branchfj
Level 3

I already tried the bpmedia command you gave me and it comes back saying the server (old) is not in the NetBackup configuration. 

I didn't upgrade, it was a complete new install on another server.  I still have the old server up as I used it to make the Policies on the new server.

And I am not trying to import the backups from the tapes.  I just need to get the EMM database to accept the tapes in my tape Robot so I can use them to start new backups. 

Pls help.  I need to get this fixed and running today. 

Thanks,

Frank

branchfj
Level 3

This is a "new" Master/Media Server.

branchfj
Level 3

I forgot to add that this being a new Master/Media server (acutal new hardware), I am using the tapes (barcoded) from the old Master/Media server.  Which is not being accepted by the new Master/Media server.

branchfj
Level 3

the bpimport cmd is working; however even when they show as assigned, I run a Manual backup and I still get the 96 error, unable to allocate new media for backup.

I also ran the "bpexpdate -m tapeid -d 0" command, then the bpimport, and it does not let me use the tape for backups.

branchfj
Level 3

Problem solved, thanks.

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

What solved your issue? In case anyone else has a similar issue it may help them.