Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AIX Install NBU7.1 ERROR

LanLin
Level 4
Partner Accredited Certified

HI ALL:

My AIX Version is 5300-08-*******  So I put the NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz To the Server.

But I cannot gunzip it when use gunzip -c NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz | tar -xvf -   How Can I do ??

I unzip the NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz on windows 2003 use the winrar,,,and compression it to zip. On AIX  use jar -xvf NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.zip there was no error  But I still cannot install the nbu client

Do you wish to continue? [y,n] (y) y
Do you want to install the NetBackup client software for this client? [y,n] (y)

This package will install RS6000/AIX53 client.

This package will install NetBackup client 7.1.

Enter the name of the NetBackup server : nbu5230

Would you like to use "ERP570" as the configured
name of the NetBackup client? [y,n] (y)
/sharedata/NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/catalog/anb/client.inst[795]: ./cp_to_client: 0403-006 Execute permission denied.

A failure was detected running /sharedata/NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS/NBClients/anb/Clients/usr/openv/netbackup/client/RS6000/AIX53/cp_to_client nbu5230 ERP570 /tmp/install_trace.196648

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If tar is used to unpack downloaded NetBackup 7.1 or 7.5 distribution files, installation or upgrade may fail.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154080

Because of the complex nature and structure of some of the NetBackup product platform images, limitations with using different hardware tar commands can cause extracting problems. Symantec NetBackup uses GNU tar to create all of the .tar formatted images.

To extract the following images accurately, you must use GNU tar version 1.16 or higher to extract them:

* NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz

(Edit: I'm going back to sleep!)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you notice the 'NetBackup_7.1-Split_1ofN.txt' file when you downloaded from FileConnect?

It says:

Note: Because of the complex nature and structure of some of the NetBackup product platform images,
limitations with using different hardware tar commands can cause extracting problems. Symantec
NetBackup uses Gnu-tar to create all of the .tar formatted images.  To extract the following images
accurately, you must use Gnu-tar to extract them. 

- On UNIX systems: 
     cat "NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS_tar-gz.1of2" "NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS_tar-gz.2of2" > "NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz" 

(File attached)

You need to join and extract the files on the AIX server. Windows has a way of changing case of filenames and sym-links when you extract there.

This TN contains download links for gtar: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154080

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If tar is used to unpack downloaded NetBackup 7.1 or 7.5 distribution files, installation or upgrade may fail.

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH154080

Because of the complex nature and structure of some of the NetBackup product platform images, limitations with using different hardware tar commands can cause extracting problems. Symantec NetBackup uses GNU tar to create all of the .tar formatted images.

To extract the following images accurately, you must use GNU tar version 1.16 or higher to extract them:

* NetBackup_7.1_CLIENTS.tar.gz

(Edit: I'm going back to sleep!)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Great comments from all.

You can't unpack unix files on a Windows host because meta data of the files will be lost. In this case the information about if the file is a executable or not.

See table under "numeric notation":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system_permissions

StefanosM
Level 6

Nicolai is 100% right.

Also If the CD image contains relative links, the links will be vanished if you extract the CD on a Windows system. It happen to me at my early days with netbackup.

Marianne
Level 6

LOL! Being 1st does not always help!

OP clearly liked your answer more!