cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES Backup Selection Question

mpjubb
Level 3

We have a mix of server 2003 and 2008 servers.  I have one policy for them all for backing up to tape.  In that policy i have the backup selection directive set for server 2003 all drives and also server 2008 all drives.

So, my question is, do i need to have both directives in the policy?  If i have both directives in, are the servers being backed up twice?

Thanks for any help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive will backup exactly what it says & it should be the only backup selection present (or necessary) in the policy. [[***EDIT*** if multiple data streams is selected.]]

It will also backup system state etc depending on the OS in question (2000/2003/2008).

I presume you are looking at them as different entities as they are appearing in the directive sets for 2000, 2003 & 2008? These sets are just the directives that are available for each OS.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
The ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive will backup exactly what it says & it should be the only backup selection present (or necessary) in the policy. [[***EDIT*** if multiple data streams is selected.]]

It will also backup system state etc depending on the OS in question (2000/2003/2008).

I presume you are looking at them as different entities as they are appearing in the directive sets for 2000, 2003 & 2008? These sets are just the directives that are available for each OS.

mpjubb
Level 3
I set it as all local drives so that it would back up the system state.

so should i have just the 2008 directive.  will the 2003 servers still be backed up?

Will_Restore
Level 6
that is fine

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
they are essentially one & the same thing, so it shouldn't matter which one you select. It will back-up what it's supposed to for either 2003 or 2008 clients (or 2000, or even *nix for that matter!).

Bear in mind that you don't actually have to select it from the drop-down list, you can also just type it in within the Change Policy window - in that case which one would it be selecting? It doesn't matter, it is just a directive & not linked to a specific O/S.

It appears in the directive sets for 2000, 2003, OR 2008 as one of the available directives that you can choose, as does NEW_STREAM, UNSET_ALL, UNSET and System State:\ and there aren't different one of these for each O/S!

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
didn't I just think of "Yes" ?? :D

Cheers Bill.

mpjubb
Level 3
Thanks for your help.