cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied (status 170) in Administration console

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

Hello everybody, I have this annoyng problem with my Netbackup administration console. After change of username our admin says my new account is created with all privileges required and still I receive 'access denied' on all items in console and can't do anything. Could it be on my, client side?

12 REPLIES 12

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

how the auth.conf entires are lookig like in master server for your user name?

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

cat /usr/openv/java/auth.conf

root ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL
* ADMIN=JBP JBP=ENDUSER+BU+ARC

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

After change of username.....

What is your user name?

You can see that only 'root' has full admin rights to ALL components.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

correct

below are the 3 permissions that are set to everyone other than root.. so if you login with user name other than root, you can not get the activity moniter...

ENDUSER

Allows the users to perform restore tasks from true image or regular backups plus redirected
restores.
BU
Allows the users to perform backup tasks.
ARC
Allows the users to perform archive tasks. The capability to perform backups (BU) is required to
allow archive tasks.

use the below entry in auth.conf to get it work for you
<your user name>  ADMIN=ALL JBP=ALL

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

This means that your OS admin has done 'something' at OS level to give users root access without logging in as root.

At this point I would like to see the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files on the master as well as permissions on NBU binaries, but we cannot expect you to post this in a public forum.

Your OS admin should be able to check and see 'what is different' for your user id.

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

Thanks both, I understand that but there's about 6 other users which have no issues, and my original username was also non-root. Nobody here uses root for console.

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

Well, definitely nothing like "root-like access" but maybe some kind of role. Unfortunatelly, no users are local and they are all managed by completely separate unit in our organisation.:-/ I'll try to reach to them, thanks.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Anything else changed?

There is an old T/N that details a name resolution problem that gives exactly the same error message in the Java GUI. It is for 6.x so not sure if it at all relevant:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH69837

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

Thanks but this can't be the case, as other users has no issues.

Will_Restore
Level 6

Do they login from the same workstation as you?  I would try adding the entry to nbj.conf per the Technote.

Michael_STRAND
Level 3

Hi, we have Citrix desktop with common instalaltion, so yes, we share workstation. What entry in nbj.conf you refer to? It contains mostly Java memory configuration, per my knowledge.

We just used Access management in Admin console to create new user with the very same privileges as the old one but it behaves as described. Doesn't make much sense to me.:-/

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Remove your account and try adding it back with new account name.