Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice required re: upgrading current Netbackup config

StuartB
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me here.

We currently have a couple of DCs that we backup (Fairly small at around 12TB-20TB across 3 SANS and local disks at each site) A series of new SANS will increase the capacity across the board to approx 35-40 TB at each site.

Now I have been given money to upgrade the backup solution (Currently LTO2 dual headed drives with full nightly backups). I am moving to new LTO4, multi headed libraries. We use DDT technology and can manage to fit approx 3 days backup on our dedicated disk unit. It also gets duplicated to tape. All this is on an FC4 fibre network.

The data types involved are many and varied. We use Oracle RAC clusters for data, 3 seperate VMWare clusters with approx 90 hosts across them all. Also several TBs of raw video data. This is in addition to normal file and print and application servers. 

I suspect I will have some money left over and may look at puredisk. Am I right in assuming the following:

It will only backup slices that have changed since last backup. This means that the small amount of data that changes gets backed up (change deltas if you like)

Therefore, we can fit approx 7-10 times the data on the disk (ie more than a week of data), therefore making restores easier.

Also, does it reduce the amount of data that would be written to tape on daily basis, without comprimising restore capability.

One other question I have is what is it likely to cost. I understand it's done on a cost per TB of  pre de duped data.

Many thanks in advance

Stu
1 REPLY 1

lu
Level 6
> we can fit approx 7-10 times the data on the disk Yes, in most cases. But for some databases it can be less than 2. > data that would be written to tape No ! The deduplicated data is "expanded" when copied to tape. The right solution is to replicate to another deduplicated disk. > I understand it's done on a cost per TB of pre de duped data. It depends... There are now many solutions for deduplication. You should take a look at "hardware" deduplication too: http://www.backupcentral.com/components/com_mambowiki/index.php/Disk_Targets,_currently_shipping For example, with Netapp, deduplication is free !