cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alias name for non cluster master server implementation

PranavB
Level 4

Geeks !

We are planning to setup non-clustered master server and symantec recommends to crate an alias name for the master server so that it can be mapped to standy in case of DR.

We have not setup DNS yet as it is a new DC build and i am looking for option to do this using an host file.

Netbackup 7.5.0.6

OS sol 10

Please advise.

PB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

my advice - don't

Wait for DNS is in place - its a nightmare to get rid of host files afterward. Admin usually then add every thing to host as a quick and dirt solution instead for creating DNS records.

This is not what you are looking for - but I have been down the same road before and I am not doing it again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

my advice - don't

Wait for DNS is in place - its a nightmare to get rid of host files afterward. Admin usually then add every thing to host as a quick and dirt solution instead for creating DNS records.

This is not what you are looking for - but I have been down the same road before and I am not doing it again.

PranavB
Level 4

thanks Nicoloi ,i will wait for DNS.

is there any need to give alias any ip  ,as far as i am thnking ,it will be mapped to primary master and its IP and then to standby in case of disaster.

also ,i do not have much space left on my san ,can i put catalog on NL-SAS. 

Is there any issue using NL-SAS ?

Thanks,

PranavB

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - I recommend using a seperate IP and DNS A records. DNS aliases does not work with Netbackup.

NL-SAS: Do not use for MSDP, think it will be fine for dssu or advanced disk.