Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archive bit status after failed full backup

alagirib
Level 2
Partner

Hi

If a full backup fails halfway , I would like to know the status of the archive bits. In my case the backup failed after taking around 2.5 TB of data (around 80% of total data). I need to restore the data to a new server during the weekend and I cannot afford to have another full backup. I have a full backup from last week and a few cumulative incrementals. Now with my full backup failing after 80 % data is backed up, will I be able to restore from last weeks full backup and cumulative incrementals that I run during this week.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think i know what you are getting at .. and as far as i am aware the archive bit gets reset 5 minutes after notification of a successful backup.

If the backup failed then it would not get this notification and so would not be reset - in which case your cumulative incrementals you run this week will pick up any new / changed files

To be totally confident check an old file on that server to see when its archive bit time stamp is - it should be the time and date of the last successful full backup - it depends on your O/S how you view it - sometime just right click and view the files properties will give it to you

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

when you say.. you have full backup from last week.. does it the one that got failed after 80% of data backup?

or you have the backup successfull with the status code 0 or 1.?

you can only do restore of you have the backup images compleated with status code 0 or 1...

failed backups will not create any backup images, so you can not get the restore...

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think i know what you are getting at .. and as far as i am aware the archive bit gets reset 5 minutes after notification of a successful backup.

If the backup failed then it would not get this notification and so would not be reset - in which case your cumulative incrementals you run this week will pick up any new / changed files

To be totally confident check an old file on that server to see when its archive bit time stamp is - it should be the time and date of the last successful full backup - it depends on your O/S how you view it - sometime just right click and view the files properties will give it to you

Hope this helps