Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B2D2T for MS Exchange GRT

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
 Hi,

I have performed MS Exchange GRT backup to disk staging then relocate to tape. 

I have configured the retention to 1 month (4 weeks) for backup to disk staging, the retention for data in the tape will also have 1 month retention.

After that I will need to write 1 script/batch to manually expire/change the retention for data on disk staging.

My question is whether this approach is good or have better approach ? 

I don't have AdvancedDisk or equivalent license, therefore I couldn't configure it to use SLP.

Please let me know, if you have experience this before, thank you. 
6 REPLIES 6

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
You can't configure disk staging with 2 retention periods (one for disk and one for tape)
When backup image is duplicated from disk to tape - backup image is removed from disk (if disk is filled up and there is no place for new backups - after reaching watermark).

So if you selected disk staging as storage unit in backup policy backup will go to disk then to tape, but retention period from backup schedule is related to tape, not for disk.

You don't need to create scripts to expire backup images. If you are using disk staging NB will automaticly remove data from disk after migration to tape.

marekk

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
Hi Marek, you mean after the images are relocated from disk to tape then it will be removed from disk staging ? Or after reaching high watermark ? 

If that is the case then there is no way to restore from disk ? got to restore from tape ?

Is it better to create script to duplicate backup images to tape and then change the retention for disk and tape ?

Thanks.

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
yes after reaching high watermark..

if you want to store data on disk using permanent retention period you should to use Storage Lifecycle Policy or create disk storage unit, and script for duplication from disk to tape.

marekk

lu
Level 6
D2T is working for you ? We have lots of problems with GRT and D2T duplication: http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/very-slow-exchange-grt-backups

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
 Hi lu, 

I haven't work out for the D2T, currently just backup to disk. I am still considering whether using script  to duplicate to tape or disk staging to relocate backup images to tape.

Backup MS Exchange with GRT to disk disk is alright, yet to try duplicate to tape. My environment is all in MS Windows.

Kenneth_Hansen
Level 6
Partner
U could use Vault, then you can have 4 weeks retention on disk images, 4 week or 3 years or what ever you choose on tapes. Then images on disk will be deleted after disk image retention expires. And tape copy becomes primary copy. 

Unfortunately this means buying a vault license.