cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMR 6.5.4 : BMR Boot Server

T_N
Level 6
Hi All,

Anyone know about BMR Boot Server? I have NBU 6.5.4 running on Win2008 standard SP2 x64 bits, if I want to install BMR 6.5.4 on it , what do I need to do ?

1) Install BMR Master on Win2008 Standard SP2 x64 bits
2) Install BMR Boot Server on Win2008  ( NBU 6.5.4 does it support on it? I couldn't find on NBU 6.5.4 update release), if we have multiple client OS do we need to have the mutiple BMR Boot Server?
3) Do I need to buy license for BMR 6.5.4 or does it include in NBU 6.5 standard ?  Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

lu
Level 6
1) not sure win2k8 sp2 is supported with nbu 6.5.4 2) you can use BMR without a boot server, if you have other systems doing network boot, it may be hard to set-up a bmr boot server. 3) the license is free

JoeH
Level 3

For BMR Boot servers, you need a separate boot server for each type of OS load ie Windows, RedHat Linux, Solaris x86, Solaris Sparc, SUSE Linux, etc.  The boot server contain that shared resource tree where the local hardware drivers are stored that help to get the new clean server setup and running ready for the OS load.  Quick note, we are using VM's for some of our boot servers and it does work but note techsupport may give you some grief since it is not officially supported yet.

While you can run your boot server on your Master server, the question you need to ask is will you be upgrading your NB Master to a new OS as it comes out.  In other words, our NB Master is Windows 2003 Server and to support Windows 2008 we would need to upgrade our Master to Win2008 and we are not planning to do that.  So you can get into some support issues there.

From what I have heard, Win2008 Server will be supported in the NetBackup 7 release but no guarantee until it is out and then you should wait for the first Maintenance Pack release.

BMR is included free with NetBackup 6.x so you do not need to buy it.

We have done a lot of testing with BMR so we strongly suggest you do the same before deploying in production.  There is some quirkiness to be aware of and if you follow the Best Practices guide you are pretty safe, however, when you start doing different kinds of policies you can have issues that you will have to involve support for.

Joe