Did you mean: 

BMR Question ... one-time shot or not?

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Question..

In the manual it says:

Perform a full backup after a restore
You must perform a full backup of a client immediately after you restore the client
and before any incremental backups occur. If the client fails again after an
incremental backup but before a full backup, BMR cannot restore the client.

So what happens if I need to do a BMR restore again from the same backup before another full backup occurrs?  am I doomed?  Or do I just lose data up to the point of my backup?

I was hoping to do a BMR backup and have the retention setup to say 1 year.  Then 3 months down the road I want to blow away my server and restore it again to the backup that I made with the 1-year retention.  Is this possible (as long as I have the TIR info)?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

>> You must perform a full backup of a client immediately after you restore the client
>> and before any incremental backups occur. If the client fails again after an
>> incremental backup but before a full backup, BMR cannot restore the client.

<Mandar> This is not must to be done but instead recommended to be done. And this recommendation is from basic NBU backup perspective.

Using BMR it is possible for user to do Dissimilar System Restore and Dissimilar Disk Restore where user can change original system to different PM or VM instance; even you can change volume layouts, volume sizes etc.

In this case destination system would have significant changes compare to original. Hence it would be better to start from a fresh check-point.

>> I was hoping to do a BMR backup and have the retention setup to say 1 year.  Then 3 months >>down the road I want to blow away my server and restore it again to the backup that I made with >>the 1-year >> retention.  Is this possible (as long as I have the TIR info)?

<Mandar>  It is possilbe to restore any point in time image using BMR. BMR can restore from any FULL, incremental-diff, incremental-cum and synthetic backup point.

Thanks.

-Mandar

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified

Ok so sounds like I can do a BMR as many times as I want from the same backup.  Thanks.

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Yes. Certainly.

Thanks.

-Mandar