cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up File Server takes more than 12 hours

Anthony_Chung
Level 3
I am using Netbackup 6.0 MP4 and using LTO4.  Everything was working fine prior to this.  Nothing major have changed.  All of a sudden backing up my file server takes more than 12 hours.  The data size on my file server remains abt the same, no major increase. 

Where should I go an look first.  I dont see anything issues on my File server and my Netbackup server is backing up other server with no problem.  Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Venkat_2
Level 3
Certified
Get your file servers defragmented, so that you can have the desired backup speed if it is not possible to defragment the file servers, try the ADVANCED CLIENT option to have "Flash Backup option".

Anthony_Chung
Level 3
I clicked on the defrag and windows tells me that I dont need to defrag the drive.  Doesnt look like the drive is defragmented. 

Khalid__lname
Level 3
I would look at the network setting on that file server, if it's set to auto, it might have switched to 100half or something wicked like that..

Anthony_Chung
Level 3
ok, I'll try this first.  Will also upgrade the NIC drivers.  This might be the problem since the backup was back to normal again today.  Thanks.

Chuck_Stevens
Level 6

Khalid. lname wrote:
I would look at the network setting on that file server, if it's set to auto, it might have switched to 100half or something wicked like that..

Yah, that's a big one.  Best thing to do is don't use Auto, hard code everything for 100/Full (or whatever you use) on the servers and switches.  A duplex mismatch can really kill your network performance.