Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup, Disk to Disk to Tape.

abhishek
Level 4
Partner
Hi All,

I have NBU 6.5.3, I want to configure Backup, Disk to Disk to Tape.
Please let me know how to configure the same or if you have any document. Please provide me.

Thanks.

Abhishek
4 REPLIES 4

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
What you want is called "Disk Staging Storage Unit" - you configure one storage unit for the tapes and one for the disk. in the disk storage unit, you configure the schedule for duplicating the images to tape.

More information is in the Administrator's Guide:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290201.htm beginning at page 244

abhishek
Level 4
Partner
Hi,

I have never done this configuration before.
Can you please explain me how it works and how to configure it.

DavidParker
Level 6
A single DSSU would give you a: Client -> Disk -> Tape solution.

Another option would be to look at Storage Lifecycle Policies

Check Page 253 in the Administrator's Guide:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290201

Veritas NetBackup (tm) 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume 1

alazanowski
Level 5
One of the other common practices, especially if you intend to have the data put to tape for longer periods of time than what exists on disk, is to use vaulting schedules.

So, in your policies, you can create schedules with names such as "Full-1mon-IM" or perhaps "Full-1year-onsite" in which you intend for the schedule to mean that you want the data to be considered for full backups to be duplicated for 1 month and sent to Iron Mountain or be full backups and exist for 1 year onsite as tape. You can then have the system backup to disk and have a retention of whatever short amount of time you want it to remain on disk (say 2 weeks as default).

Then go into your vault and set up different vault jobs based on the schedule name that would cause it to duplicate and then set it to whatever retention you want. I.E. there is a vault job that says 1mon-IM that says that whatever schedule names that have run with names "Full-1mon-IM" or "Incr-1mon-IM" or "User-1mon-IM" that they will be selected in the vault job and duplicated to tape set for 1 month and you can build procedures to email Iron Mountain about their contents, etc.

obviously there are a few more steps but if you need assistance i could probabbly put together a blog that contains a walkthrough of the idea.